ASCII Quiz 4: Solution

1 Conversation

These are the solutions to the Ascii Picture Quiz 4 which appeared in a recent issue of The h2g2 Post. Follow the links to see the original pictures.

Picture 1

The photo inspired a Led Zeppelin album cover - it's the Hindenberg disaster. This German airship exploded in a ball of flame as it docked at New Jersey following its transatlantic flight on May 6, 1937.

Picture 2

Did you spot the Black Power salute given by American athletes Tommie Smith and Jon Carlos at the 1968 Mexico Olympics?

Picture 3

The familiar mushroom cloud thrown up by the first ever atomic bomb dropped in anger. This, of course happened over Hiroshima, Japan on August 6, 1945.

Picture 4

A lone protestor stands in front of a line of tanks. This was the most memorable shot of the short-lived student uprising in Tiananmen Square, Beijing in 1989. Hundreds lost their lives as the army opened fire on unarmed demonstrators, mostly students.

Picture 5

British Prime Minister Neville Chamberlain triumphantly holds aloft a piece of paper containing an Anglo-German agreement signed by himself and Adolf Hitler in September, 1938. Sadly, Chamberlain's policy of appeasement was short lived. Less than a year later, Germany invaded Poland, and the Second World War had begun.

Picture 6

Astronaut Buzz Aldrin poses for this iconic shot of the Apollo 11 moon landing in 1969.

Picture 7

As Saddam Hussein's regime was toppled by Nato forces in April, 2003, so his statue in Baghdad was too. The man himself went on the run, before being captured in December of that year, then subsequently executed.

Picture 8

American forces capture Iwo Jima from the Japanese in 1945, one of the key battles of the Pacific Campaign of World War II.

Picture 9

Crowds celebrate anti-apartheid campaigner Nelson Mandela's release from prison in 1990 after 27 years.

Picture 10

The NASA space shuttle Challenger explodes following a catastrophic failure soon after take-off, on 28 January, 1986. Seven astronauts lost their lives; these included schoolteacher and mother of two Christa McAuliffe.

Icy's Quizzes and More Archive

Icy North

23.04.12 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A87753757

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Credits

References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more