A Conversation for Titanic in Belfast

Yardmen walk

Post 1

Beatrice

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfE-prPNWgY&list=UUo9AWNHnjtN4_30DOry730A&index=1&feature=plcp

YouTube footage of the yardmen walk


Yardmen walk

Post 2

Elektragheorgheni -Please read 'The Post'

Thanks for the link. By the way what are Jedward up to or was that just a clever tag line?


Yardmen walk

Post 3

Bluebottle

On the documentaries on the Titanic I keep seeing the former Harland and Wolff draughting offices where the Titanic was designed apparently empty, despite the building appearing quite impressive. Is anything happening with the office building?

You mentioned a second new statue - am I right in assuming that this is a monument to the 9 Belfast men who died making the Titanic and 22 who died onboard Titanic (including the famous Gauruntee Group). Are these figures correct? What is the statue of?

<BB<


Yardmen walk

Post 4

Beatrice

The 2 statues I referred to are the mermaid one in front of Belfast Titanic, and the 3 bronze yardmen (or islandmend as they were known) on the lower Newtownards Road.

I keep seeing the drawing office in various documentaries, but I'm not aware of any plans to restore it further or open it to the public.

I've only recently heard of the Guarantee Group - I shall look out for any special memorials to them.


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Titanic in Belfast

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more