The h2g2 Post 09.04.12

1 Conversation

A crest bearing the legend The H2G2 PostA crest bearing the legend The H2G2 Post


Posted: 9th April 2012

Remembering, Commemorating, Reflecting

RMS Titanic sets out on its fateful voyage
It was the biggest ship afloat. It was an amazing technological achievement. It was a glittering display of wealth. On the night of 14-15 April, 1912, it struck an iceberg and sank. One hundred years later, we're still talking about it.

The disaster of RMS Titanic sparked controversy and alarm across the Atlantic. Hundreds died. Thousands of families were affected. There was discussion, investigation, charitable initiative. There were technical improvements designed to prevent future accidents.

Our Post writers have gathered information for you. In these pages, they share some of the stories, past and present. They'll be letting you in on how RMS Titanic is being remembered in Belfast, where the ship was built, and in Southampton, its port of departure. We'll give you some links along the way. Just to pass one on here: If you're interested, as I was, in the stories of the passengers, click here to read the passenger list. Every ticket number is its own saga.

What's that, you say? It's not all about Titanic? No, it's not. We have some other fine features, as well. We leave you to find them.

And don't click on that picture unless you really like that song.


Dmitri Gheorgheni

IT WAS SAD WHEN THAT GREAT SHIP WENT DOWN

A NIGHT TO REMEMBER


 

 

WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST


 

 

NOT THE SHIPPING NEWS


 

 

 

 

 

 
FEEDBACK, SUBMISSIONS AND DISCUSSION


The Post Office


The home of the h2g2 Post team


Back Issue Page



Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A87747574

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more