A Conversation for 24 Lies a Second

This thread has been closed

I always feel mean...

Post 61

Awix

Oh come on! He hangs around with a guy who can transform *his entire body* into 'organic steel'. The woman he carried a torch for at one point went around *eating stars*. And he was first seen duking it out with a guy 8 *million* times stronger (when he gets angry, anyway) than the average chap! He can do whatever he likes, it's comics!

But I admit you have a point. (Everyone says 'adamantium skeleton' as a convenient shorthand, though.)


I always feel mean...

Post 62

Swiv (decrepit postgrad)

ok, I know my comic book education is lacking, but eh?


I always feel mean...

Post 63

Awix

Okay, the guy who turns into steel is an X-man called Colossus, who's in the new movie. Jean Grey, at one point in the comics, was consumed by a cosmic force known as the Dark Phoenix and had to absorb stars in order to survive (now that's what I call comfort food). And Wolverine's first appearance was as a Canadian government hitman assigned to take out the Hulk (who's *at least* that strong given some of the stuff he's done in the past).

I'm a smiley - geek, so you don't have to be... smiley - smiley


I always feel mean...

Post 64

Catwoman

Liquid metal man, eh?
I think they have to make it all more plausible in the film, because there will be some normal people watching, not just the hardcore smiley - geeks.
Organic steel? Yeah.
Cosmic force, just leave it at that and assume it's magic.
Hulk as in the totally different non-X-men green guy?


I always feel mean...

Post 65

Awix

Metal yes, liquid no. smiley - smiley

Plausible?!? You thought the first film was remotely plausible?

Someone wrote a book called 'The Science of X Men' which was possibly the most fatuous thing ever published. Comic-book science is so advanced as to be indistinguishable from magic, like you say...

Yup, the green Hulk. All these characters (X Men, Hulk, Spider-Man, Daredevil, Blade) live in the same world (in the comics at least) and regularly knock heads with each other.

I take we've all heard Robert Di Niro is in talks to play Dr Octopus in Spidey 2?


I always feel mean...

Post 66

Swiv (decrepit postgrad)

no, who Dr Octopus?

so, if the Hulk does well, can we expect a Wolverine/Hulk team up film?


I always feel mean...

Post 67

Awix

I wish! Or rather, Wolverine vs Hulk, always good value. (Even my uncle wants to see them make Spider-Man vs Daredevil.) Freddy vs Jason is out this year, and the rumour is that Superman vs Batman is in the works, so we could be seeing the start of a trend.

I was in another thread where people started suggesting this sort of thing. It got silly about the time of 'Godzilla vs Watership Down bunny rabbits.'

Dr Octopus (currently RIP) was Spider-Man's arch enemy in the comics. He's a mad scientist, obviously, and following a nuclear accident he's trapped inside this robotic harness which basically gives him control of four 20 foot long super-strong metal tentacles emerging from his sides. Not as stupid as it sounds, and he's a contender for comics' all-time great villains top 10 (caused Spidey no end of problems and on one occasion even managed to beat the Hulk in a straight fight).


I always feel mean...

Post 68

Catwoman

Plausible within a certain framework of suspended disbelief, but yes, more plausible than some things mentioned here.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more