A Conversation for 24 Lies a Second

This thread has been closed

I always feel mean...

Post 21

Swiv (decrepit postgrad)

Much as I yen for ROTK - I actually kind of like the anticipation of waiting a year for it, and then I get to see the Two Towers lots before hand as well!

May and November would probably work quite well I s'pose (given that when someone asked me the other day what my top 10 films of the year were I had a hard job remember what I saw before May!)


I always feel mean...

Post 22

Catwoman

When was Spiderman out? I remember seeing that? It was April or May. It's true, we must have some problem with our medium-term memories.


I always feel mean...

Post 23

Awix

Uh, beginning-middle of June. It was out even earlier in the States, Blockbuster season over there now runs from May to July-August before transforming into 'quality mainstream hit' season (ie, things like Signs and Road to Perdition).


I always feel mean...

Post 24

Swiv (decrepit postgrad)

I always have problems remembering what I saw before May - partly because I always forget things I did the previous academic year, partly because it's so far away, and partly because the stuff I saw at the beginning of the year gets included in the Oscars so I assume I saw it last year (or 2001 even) - like Gosford Park or In the Bedroom.


I always feel mean...

Post 25

Catwoman

June? You're kidding? Weirdness.
And who said blockbusters can't be quality?


I always feel mean...

Post 26

Awix

Oh boy... film doubletalk. A blockbuster and a quality movie are kind of two different things... you can have a fantastically good blockbuster like, um, careful, The Matrix, and a really indifferent 'quality' movie like... can't think of one off the top of my head... let's say Road to Perdition. A 'quality' film is always going to be considered for for the big Oscars etc ahead of a blockbuster.


I always feel mean...

Post 27

Swiv (decrepit postgrad)

ah yes - the "I have a brain - look, here it is on my sleeve" kind of film.
fat lot of good a brain on the sleeve is too


I always feel mean...

Post 28

Awix

It's occasionally useful as forensic evidence...


I always feel mean...

Post 29

Catwoman

I'm hoping that's just a version of 'wearing heart on sleeve', meaning to display obviously (never sure with some people).

I still say it's silly, there should be new words for these things, instead of using words that already have meaning in a way that might not mean the same thing.


I always feel mean...

Post 30

Swiv (decrepit postgrad)

smiley - biggrin

yeh, it was...

we could create a new term - where would be a really daft place to wear your brain?

forsenic evidence for the fact the film had a point somewhere in it's inception (probably the graphic novel) Awix?


I always feel mean...

Post 31

Awix

Well, um, more than likely, haven't actually read (or had even heard of, prior to the movie) the graphic novel. The big studios have just about cracked making superhero movies that don't stink, but they're still struggling with more mature graphic novels (eg RtP, From Hell, what I've heard of the movie version of Sandman).


I always feel mean...

Post 32

Swiv (decrepit postgrad)

I didn't see From Hell, but the film of Ghost World is fantastic!
not exactly "studio" though...


I always feel mean...

Post 33

Awix

Seems like they can do the really obscure graphic novels and the famous superhero books pretty well, it's just the renowned graphic novels they have problems with (RtP I'd classify as obscure, and the film wasn't as bad as all that).

Must confess I'm not all that familiar with the From Hell book but the little I know leads me to believe that the movie has no more in common with it than it has with any other Ripper book or film (well, up to a point anyway: there are some fairly wacky Ripper movies out there).


I always feel mean...

Post 34

Catwoman

Sems like there's going to be a few superhero films out this year. (or next) Exciting. Well, the magazine I read it in sounded excited (either sfx or empire) but I don't know if I can work up enough enthusiasm for all of them.


I always feel mean...

Post 35

Swiv (decrepit postgrad)

I'm looking forward to the Hulk - cos I like Ang Lee films - and X-Men 2, cos I love the first one.

Daredevil I'm not sure about - Ben Affleck is generally best avoided, but Colin Farrell is generally good, so I think I'll just balance the finances against that one...


I always feel mean...

Post 36

Catwoman

I've got to go see daredevil because I just haven't got my head round the reasons for his grilfriend trying to kill him (while in different costumes).
X2 is a must, even if just for wishing I had those claws.


I always feel mean...

Post 37

Awix

Daredevil and Elektra have an, ahem, sparky relationship in the comic so presumably they'll carry that over into the movie.

And - if they stick to the source material - there's a character in X2 called Deathstrike I think you'll like a lot.

(yup, comics smiley - geek, but you already knew that...)


I always feel mean...

Post 38

Catwoman

Well I occassionally read film magazines (I figure they've gotta be better than girl mags) so I have seen piccys of the woman with the claws, but they never actually explain much (or anything, it's more a case of 'ooh, look at the pretty pictures')


I always feel mean...

Post 39

Swiv (decrepit postgrad)

yeh - she looks cool. I think she's kind of a female Wolverine, had done to her what he has - just she's better adjusted (or anyway, working for the villain Stryker)


I always feel mean...

Post 40

Catwoman

But her claws come from the place that claws usually come from in creatures that naturally have claws (as opposed to the knuckle). Looks cooler, but surely would have less leverage, more likely to bend backwards causing pain. I still want a pair.


Key: Complain about this post