A Conversation for The 2011 h2g2 Booker Prize

Half Blood Blues

Post 1

Z

What did you think?


Half Blood Blues

Post 2

Elektragheorgheni -Please read 'The Post'

This one is not yet available in the US.


Half Blood Blues

Post 3

Storm

This is the last book for me to review. I feel incomplete leaving it hanging. I did read it before the prize was announced and I liked it.

It felt familiar (I've been reading bookings about people persecuted by the Nazi's all my life). The writing style wasn't too challenging. Much of it was written as a memoir, a retired person looking back to their youth and the outcome was 'known'. This made it fairly slow paced, I wasn't rushing to find out what happened but enjoyed the unfolding of events.

The introduction of the musicians as a persecuted group gave a 'twist' to the familiar story. The protagonist was another of these disappointed men looking back at his place in events but he didn't annoy me as much as some of the other booker protagonists.

I don't think it should have won but I would recommend it.


Half Blood Blues

Post 4

Z

This was the one bookI didn't actually mange to read smiley - blush

But it's on my Kindle. I really should get around to reading it...

Actually I really should write up all the comments into an entry.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more