A Conversation for Talking Point: Now and Then

I'm proud. Although I've not done what I was born for.

Post 1

Haze: Plan C seems to be working

I've always thought that I was destined for something great. I've got a very high IQ, am quite good looking, am kind and generous, etc. About two years ago, I had a thought. I'm probably a backup plan. Someone born and raised to do [something] if plan 'A' failed. But plan 'A' obviously succeded. So that leaves me without a purpose.

So I'll just be quiet and help who i come across as much as i can.

kismet


I'm proud. Although I've not done what I was born for.

Post 2

BobTheFarmer

Hey me too, I've never thought of it like that.


I'm proud. Although I've not done what I was born for.

Post 3

Jessie, queen of the strange - Nirvana rocks my socks!

I've kinda felt like that too, although I'm far from kind/generous/etc. I have an IQ in the genius range, and I've been researching military history and realized that I have a passion for military strategy. I've always felt like I should have been born into the world of "Ender's Game", but I was somehow cheated.


I'm proud. Although I've not done what I was born for.

Post 4

Felonious Monk - h2g2s very own Bogeyman

Unfortunately, having a high IQ doesn't make you a genius, and it certainly doesn't entitle one to the automatic adulation of others. This is what the typically low-achievers who join Mensa seem to think, but they don't grasp that it's what you *do* with what you've got, rather than what you start out with that matters. I had an extremely high IQ as a child but I only partially realised my potential in that sense. It's now a facet of my personality, rather than the be-all and end-all of it, and I am very grateful for this now.

Actually, I think that the person I was as a child wouldn't have liked the person I am now very much, simply because my priorities and perspective on life has changed so much. There is plenty of cleverness in the world, but it seems that so many of the problems: hunger, disease, poverty, are in fact very simple to solve (I don't equate 'simple' with 'easy' in this context) and what is *really* lacking is a degree of fellow-feeling for other people. But then, the 'young me' wouldn't have put such a high priority on that kind of attitude.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more