A Conversation for Talking Point: Now and Then

Wasted On The Young

Post 1

LunaMoth

I think this is interesting: "Did you have an aimless and wasted youth?"
Primarily because I believe it is very important to have an aimless and wasted youth. That's what being young is about; the experience of having no idea where you're going and lacking real structure to your thoughts and goals is essential to being content with your structured, goal-oriented adult life.
I, for one, would be a very bitter adult, if I was unable to contrast the security I feel now about my future with the loss and chaos of my teenage/childhood years.
Being a kid sucks. It's really awful. The adults kids love most are the ones who haven't forgotten what it's like - and how bad it can be - to be young.
Of course, on the other hand, my adult life seems largely wasted and useless at times. Goal-oriented? Structure? My strongest orientation is toward the nearest pub structure with the goal of getting a really good ale.
But at least now I know where I'm headed.

-moth


Wasted On The Young

Post 2

Mina

I had a wasted 20s, does that count? smiley - laugh


Wasted On The Young

Post 3

LunaMoth

Well, in my meagre opinion, yes, it does count. As long as you didn't have a kid til after you were done wasting your life. smiley - smiley

-moth
smiley - spider


Wasted On The Young

Post 4

Smudger879n

Some say "youth is wasted on the young" not at all. Im glad I lived through the 60s & 70s that was a time to be "alive"! In truth though I learned more after I left school than I ever did in it. I would say now that some youngsters waste their youth by being "stoned" out their heads for most of it! I have crammed a lot into my first 51yrs and Im glad I did, as this second half has slowed me down, but I still have my memoriessmiley - winkeye somesmiley - wah and otherssmiley - laugh.
smiley - cheersSmudger.


Wasted On The Young

Post 5

Mina

I was 24 when I had my son, but I still managed to be a waster for a while. smiley - laugh


Wasted On The Young

Post 6

Smudger879n

I suppose it is what you think "wasted" is, if you were bringing up your son, that could not be described as "wasted" if you see what I mean.smiley - biggrin If smeone has spent a lot of time on a project, and it turned out wrongsmiley - erm that time has not been wasted, because you have learned some thing out of it.smiley - erm Now to my way of looking at it the term "Wasted" is, spending a lot of time learning, say a skill, then not using it, now that is time "waisted"smiley - ok What do you think?
smiley - cheers Smudger.


Wasted On The Young

Post 7

Mina

hmm, well, how about this. I went to a private school - and I was cab driving at the time. Not a huge use of my skills. smiley - laugh


Wasted On The Young

Post 8

Smudger879n

OK you have got me there, in the past I have, driven Taxis served behind a bar, and ran my own business for a while restoring and selling 2nd. hand furniture, but that was to provide for my family. So I suppose you got mesmiley - ok The only place where I could find work for what I did, was abroad, so I went!
smiley - cheersSmudger.


Wasted On The Young

Post 9

kasese<a rather confused individual, desperately seeking Harmony>

I too am very glad to have grown up in the 60s and 70s. The events of those two decades have HUGELY effected who I am today. I do however remember when I was stoned out, tuned out etc. I don't regret that experience but I'm very glad that my children haven't taken THAT path today. I didn't have my first child until I was thirty and my third was born when I was 39. Smudger- when you went to work abroad, where did you go?


Wasted On The Young

Post 10

Smudger879n

Hi There Kasese, I just had to follow where ever the work went really, so when it dried up in the North Sea, I ended up out in the desert in Turkeysmiley - wahNot a nice place, if you know what I mean. Then I had to go to Russia to a place called Bakusmiley - sadface another grim place. When I got back I finished up out on Egyptsmiley - erm All those places were smiley - erm Then when I returned the oil industry was SHUT, no work. So after a spell of running my own business I retrained and joined the ambulance service. Go to my home page, you can read the lot theresmiley - ok Also some short articles Ive written(above my journal in black area)
smiley - cheersSmudger.


Key: Complain about this post