A Conversation for Geek Code - Moved

Peer Review: A839478 - Geek Code

Post 1

Martin Harper

Entry: Geek Code - A839478
Author: Lucinda (et al) - U129960

Small is Beautiful

Every Researcher should have that written in indelible ink on their computer screen so that they can't forget it...


A839478 - Geek Code

Post 2

Bels - an incurable optimist. A1050986

Could you please either put more line breaks in the code section, or remove the tags, to obviate the need for horizontal scrolling? Thanks!


A839478 - Geek Code

Post 3

There is only one thing worse than being Gosho, and that is not being Gosho

I remember that when this was originally in the WW there was some discussion as to whether Robert Hayden should be contacted for permission to write about the Geek Code. The thread is here F93588?thread=193967, along with my comment that I would like to see an entry about it in The Guide if it's possible.

::AHEM::

-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
Version: 1.1
GMU$ d-@ s: a+ C++ U?@ P L E? W++ !N !o K- w---
O-- M+ V? PS+ PE Y+ PGP- t++ 5 X-- R* tv+++ b+ DI- D--
G++ e* h- r+++ y+++(*)
-----END GEEK CODE BLOCK-----

And the entire thing on my PS is a link to the de-geeker smiley - biggrin


A839478 - Geek Code

Post 4

Zarquon's Singing Fish!

e* smiley - laugh

I think this entry might benefit from a translation of at least part of the Geek code quoted. (I know you've quoted a bit, but I think that it could do with more.) It would be too hard work to go to the Geek Code and then to the other bit about the Geek code.

smiley - fishsmiley - musicalnote


A839478 - Geek Code

Post 5

Cefpret

I find this pretty interesting and I really don't want to object to the entry with this question, I just want to know: How can it be that after eight years in WWW and Usenet I've never come across this geek code? Is it limited to news:alt.*?


A839478 - Geek Code

Post 6

There is only one thing worse than being Gosho, and that is not being Gosho

I've never been on a newsgroup, so that can't be the place where I first saw it. I believe my first sighting of a geek code was right here, on a researcher's PS smiley - biggrin


A839478 - Geek Code

Post 7

Martin Harper

Bels - fixed scrolling issue.

permissions: there's no patent on the geek code, and this entry only uses a couple of lines from his writing: well within fair use, and the source for those quotes is given (twice). The previous author attempted to contact Robert Hayden, but sadly his given email is out of date.

providing a translation of the example geek code: that would double the length of the entry for no real benefit that I can see. What does everyone else think?

-Martin
MuC N--[m] S.H+/Hf A(b-r-)O"dice"W#Cc++OF(r-o++)P#T--Jc!DoRC+++So--


A839478 - Geek Code

Post 8

Cefpret

The decoder Gosho uses is in my opinion slightly better than the one mentioned in the article. Maybe you could add Gosho's to the references list on the right?

You say 'The format is a parody of the output produced by the encryption program "PGP."' -- Well, the Geek code itself certainly is not, is it? And the surrounding block information is not mandatory.

As for the code itself, I think this geek code is too old. Both letters and modifiers seem to refer to the time of the mid-90's. Well, they do.

I can't say much about completeness, but I think this entry is ready for the Guide.


A839478 - Geek Code

Post 9

NAITA (Join ViTAL - A1014625)

Great entry! smiley - ok
However I have to agree with Cefpret on the PGP thing. (While asking, wherever have you been to miss the geek code?)
Something like "The 'Geek Code Block' formatting, which is optional, is a parody of the ..."
The outdatedness is worth a mention too, even though proper geeks love ancient SF, and hardcore computer geeks use 'ancient' technologies, any code trying to include contemporary phenomena needs constant refreshing, which the geek code hasn't had...


A839478 - Geek Code

Post 10

Martin Harper

updated appropriately - take a look...

-myre


A839478 - Geek Code

Post 11

NAITA (Join ViTAL - A1014625)

Looks good smiley - ok


A839478 - Geek Code

Post 12

There is only one thing worse than being Gosho, and that is not being Gosho

I think it could be (and should be) fleshed out a bit. I know that there's not really too much else that you could add, but how about the fact that the code is divided into sections - appearance, computers (what would a geek be without their pc), entertainment (likewise sci-fi), politics, and lifestyle, and *then* categories.


A839478 - Geek Code

Post 13

NAITA (Join ViTAL - A1014625)

I thought I disagreed completely with Gosho, but careful reading has proven me wrong. smiley - smiley (I disagree, but not completely.) I don't think you should mention the division into sections, that's more a convension on describing the code than a rule for the code itself. But I think you should add a little more about the purpose of the code in the opening.
Replace or augment "define their personality, appearance and opinions" with something about "informing their peers about personality, appearance, opinions and fields of interest or disinterest, both in profession and private life, in a concise, cryptic and truly geeky manner."
Has anyone created a h2g2-code?


A839478 - Geek Code

Post 14

There is only one thing worse than being Gosho, and that is not being Gosho

Ooh, what a smiley - cool idea smiley - tongueout. Where would one begin?


A839478 - Geek Code

Post 15

Cefpret

You may write e.g. e+++(*). Otherwise:

HH++++ I am Douglas Adams. (Every use is a fraud.)

HH+++ THHGTTG has taught me everything about life. I write fan fiction. Every other year I visit Innsbruck and plant a new tree on The Field. I love the TV series.

HH++ The h2g2 books are the best books I know. Normally I just chuckle when reading something funny, but here I died a thousand deaths laughing.

HH+ My password is 'marvin'.

HH I've read the books, they are nice.

HH- Terry Pratchett is better.

HH-- The books are silly through and through. Some nice jokes, but absolutely no story.


A839478 - Geek Code

Post 16

There is only one thing worse than being Gosho, and that is not being Gosho

I think we've got the beginnings of an entry here smiley - biggrin

Oh, and I'm sure it's worth mentioning in this entry that there's a reference to HHGTTG smiley - smiley


A839478 - Geek Code

Post 17

Martin Harper

More small changes. Example code changed - now uses Gosho's to avoid copyright issues and add free name-check.
-myre


A839478 - Geek Code

Post 18

NAITA (Join ViTAL - A1014625)

Too small, you forgot that "Geek of Education and a Geek of Jurispudence (Law)" no longer applies. smiley - winkeye


A839478 - Geek Code

Post 19

Kerr_Avon - hunting stray apostrophes and gutting poorly parsed sentences

Looking better Luce smiley - ok

I think you're right not to go into what each symbol represents- if you do, you run the danger of simply re-producing the the Geek Code homepage. Incorporate the comments above, and I reckon you're there.

A line or two noting that it was once common practice in the geekier areas of the internet to add one's geek code to a .sig wouldn't go amiss either.

smiley - ale


A839478 - Geek Code

Post 20

There is only one thing worse than being Gosho, and that is not being Gosho

You used *my* geek code? smiley - blush

If you're going to include some examples, can I remind you again of:

"e*: I learned everything there is to know about life from the "Hitchhiker's Trilogy"."

smiley - biggrin


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more