A Conversation for Rurouni Kenshin - A Romantic Japanese Swordsman's Tale

Peer Review: A8317361 - Rurouni Kenshin - Meiji Kenkaku Romantan

Post 1

Ryogasoul

Entry: Rurouni Kenshin - Meiji Kenkaku Romantan - A8317361
Author: Ryogasoul - U189727

I decided to write an entry on my favorite anime. I checked everything that I could think of. There may be some spelling errors due to Romanization of Japanese names. Please tell me if you see any grammar or punctuation errors.

Thanks for your consideration.
-Rozzychan


A8317361 - Rurouni Kenshin - Meiji Kenkaku Romantan

Post 2

Trin Tragula

This looks very good smiley - bigeyessmiley - applause

The first thing I'd say, though, is that the title needs to give some indication to the unfortunate English reader as to what the entry is about smiley - winkeye - maybe the author's name and 'manga and anime' somewhere at the end?

Also, titles need to be in italics (I see one in bold at the start, others which aren't emphasised at all).

Otherwise - at first glance smiley - sorry - this looks like great stuff smiley - ok


A8317361 - Rurouni Kenshin - Meiji Kenkaku Romantan

Post 3

RFJS__ - trying to write an unreadable book, finding proofreading tricky

One of those anime I must get around to watching... There do seem to be occasional inconsistencies in your romanisation where long vowels are concerned; I'd like to see whether I can find references for all those proper nouns in order to check them so as to be sure of consistency, so I'll get back to you on that once I'm back at Uni (in about a week) and have a flat-rate connection again.

By the way, 'the first for it's author' --> 'the first for its author'


A8317361 - Rurouni Kenshin - Meiji Kenkaku Romantan

Post 4

Ryogasoul

About the title, I was wondering what to do about that myself. I decided to include a translation of the subtitle instead of the original Japanese name. That should make it more obvious as well as attracting people who might just discard something listed under animation.


Most of the titles I have listed as subheadings. Should they be italicized if they are subheadings? I'll do it and see what it looks like.

The Romanization may be a problem. There are differences in the Romanization of names between the tv series and the printed manga. Also some things just sound wrong to me, like typing DOUJOU for DOJO.

The second is in more common usage and it might be difficult for people to understand the other spelling, but I'd appreciate any insights that you have on that anyway.


RFJS said:
By the way, 'the first for it's author' --> 'the first for its author'
Reply:
Thanks RFJS, got it.


A8317361 - Rurouni Kenshin - Meiji Kenkaku Romantan

Post 5

Ryogasoul

I changed the title on the page, but it doesn't seem to affect the name assigned to the title in this forum.

Will it be listed by the new title or the old?

Old title:
A8317361 - Rurouni Kenshin - Meiji Kenkaku Romantan

New title:
Rurouni Kenshin - The romantic tale of a swordsman in Japan's Meiji era


A8317361 - Rurouni Kenshin - Meiji Kenkaku Romantan

Post 6

Trin Tragula

No, that's fine smiley - ok The entry now shows the new title, it's just the name on this thread that doesn't.


A8317361 - Rurouni Kenshin - Meiji Kenkaku Romantan

Post 7

Ryogasoul

This is a story that began as a comic, became an animated TV show, and then was made into a movie and some vidoes in Japan. The number of people in Britain who have seen these shows is limited.

Does that mean that no one will feel capable to do peer review for this topic? Is this topic appropriate for the guide, or should I try to write about something that more people know about?


A8317361 - Rurouni Kenshin - Meiji Kenkaku Romantan

Post 8

Trin Tragula

Oo, no - this is definitely suitable stuff smiley - smiley Very much so! smiley - ok

Peer Review just gets a bit quiet sometimes. Been a bit busy myself, but I'll have a closer look now smiley - run


A8317361 - Rurouni Kenshin - Meiji Kenkaku Romantan

Post 9

Trin Tragula

Right then:

>>(the family name is written first)<< - Isn't that the case with Japanese names generally? If so, I think that might be better as a footnote with an explanation to that effect. You see, when it comes up in the header 'Cast of Characters', it seems to be repeating the information unnecessarily, where a single explanatory footnote would cover it.

>>(the bakumatsu)<< - 'bakumatsu' in italics

>>called a sakabatou<< - ditto

>>in favor of << - 'favour' (Brit. Eng. round these parts smiley - winkeye)

>>Western style<< - Western-style

>>The societal upheaval created by this change created culture shock<< - to avoid the repetition, maybe 'caused' in place of that second 'created'?

>>dojo<< - italics again

>>Kenshin who she is very fond of<< - Kenshin, of whom she is very fond

>>A police man<< - policeman

>>robbed of it's glory<< - robbed of its glory

>>who she loves<< - whom she loves

In the section 'The manga' (should have a capital 'M', by the way and that goes for some of the other headers), you don't need inverted commas round the italicised title. Also 'tankoubon' needs to be in italics.

You've got two Spanish titles there - any reason for this (different Spanish-speaking countries?)

>>Kyoto Arc<< - italics rather than bold

>>The last episode was unaired<< - Any reason why? I'm intrigued!

>>made.It includes<< - There's a space missing after the full stop

>>four thirty minute episodes<< - four thirty-minute episodes

>>Tokyo harbor<< - harbour

That's all fairly nitpicky stuff though and shouldn't really hold this back - where the problem lies, I think, is with the last section. You link to EG entries on the Samurai and their decline, but that last section seems then to duplicate the context unnecessarily. In other words, I'd stick to the subject of the entry and dispense with that last bit entirely.

I hope that helps - I think this is a solid bit of work, personally smiley - smiley (and that against the background that it's on a subject about which I know virtually nothing smiley - winkeye)


A8317361 - Rurouni Kenshin - Meiji Kenkaku Romantan

Post 10

Elentari

I've had a quick scan and this looks good! (By the way, feel free to write entries about topics that are a bit obscure - how else will we learn about them?)

I'll have a proper look another time, but it seems that Trin has probably caght most of the mistakes.

The only thing is, I think the title is too long.

Is it a manga, comic or what? (I didn't read the entry all that closely). I would suggest "Rurouni Kenshin - Japanese Manga/Comic Series" or something similar.

It's up to you, of course, but a lot of the information in the title isn't really neccessary, and most people seem to prefer shorter titles.

smiley - smiley


A8317361 - Rurouni Kenshin - Meiji Kenkaku Romantan

Post 11

Ryogasoul

K.O. Thanks everyone.

Will fix those A.S.A.P.

-Rozzychan


A8317361 - Rurouni Kenshin - Meiji Kenkaku Romantan

Post 12

Ryogasoul

I changed the title to

Rurouni Kenshin - A Romantic Japanese Swordsman's Tale

I don't know about the all caps, but it looked funny with just "a" and "Japanese" capitalized.

I think
Rurouni Kenshin - Japanese Manga/Comic Series

is boring as dirt. It's like saying

Pride and prejudice - an English novel.

-R


A8317361 - Rurouni Kenshin - Meiji Kenkaku Romantan

Post 13

Ryogasoul

I tossed the Historical background section, leaving only links to the relevant content.


A8317361 - Rurouni Kenshin - Meiji Kenkaku Romantan

Post 14

Trin Tragula

smiley - ok

... and I've no more to add, I'm afraid: as far as I'm concerned, this is good to go (I like the new title and, with the new ending, it now sticks to the subject of the entry and does it clearly and precisely). Nothing here the sub-editor couldn't tackle.

Only thing left to do is jump up and down until a scout sees it and picks it smiley - smiley


A8317361 - Rurouni Kenshin - Meiji Kenkaku Romantan

Post 15

Ryogasoul

Jumps up and down.
Jumps up and down.
flips over.

smiley - somersault


A8317361 - Rurouni Kenshin - Meiji Kenkaku Romantan

Post 16

Trin Tragula

Ah - weekend's not always the best time either smiley - silly

I'll be sure and do a bit of bouncing in the week though smiley - ok


A8317361 - Rurouni Kenshin - Meiji Kenkaku Romantan

Post 17

Trin Tragula

smiley - boing

(Look - I know next to nothing about anime. But I'm pretty sure somebody out there does. Lots of people in the area know what a good Entry looks like. Is there any reason why this should be languishing at the bottom of PR? Why the author showed up on hootoo full of enthusiasm and now hasn't posted for a fortnight?)


A8317361 - Rurouni Kenshin - Meiji Kenkaku Romantan

Post 18

U168592

No idea Trin, this is fantastic work and I would HATE to see it fall into the Flea Market, the author has worked hard on this. smiley - ok

Come back Ryogasoul! smiley - smiley

(Mind you I haven't googled the Entry, but it's tone speaks of something from the heart, not something from another website smiley - winkeye)

MJ smiley - ok


A8317361 - Rurouni Kenshin - Meiji Kenkaku Romantan

Post 19

Trin Tragula

smiley - boing


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 20

h2g2 auto-messages

Your Guide Entry has just been picked from Peer Review by one of our Scouts, and is now heading off into the Editorial Process, which ends with publication in the Edited Guide. We've therefore moved this Review Conversation out of Peer Review and to the entry itself.

If you'd like to know what happens now, check out the page on 'What Happens after your Entry has been Recommended?' at EditedGuide-Process. We hope this explains everything.

Thanks for contributing to the Edited Guide!


Key: Complain about this post