A Conversation for The Community Artists Home Page

NooHootoo - Community Artists

Post 1

Tavaron da Quirm - Arts Editor

Hi all!

I hope anyone reads this when I post here.

In the discussions about h2g2 after the BBC there was the idea to put Artists and Photographers into one group because we (I'm a Photographer) basically do the same thing as you do.
Everyone of the group could then of course submit artwork *and* photos.

I personally like the idea because I don't see a real reason why the two groups should be separated. It would also give the Photographers the chance to get into photo manipulation (we're not allowed to do that at the moment).

Hopefully a new hootoo will enable us to upload pictures directly to our group and talk about them here instead of yahoo or anywhere else.


So, what do you say? Any objections?


NooHootoo - Community Artists

Post 2

Malabarista - now with added pony

I've long said we should just have an "illustrators" group.


NooHootoo - Community Artists

Post 3

Dr Anthea - ah who needs to learn things... just google it!

yes I've often thought it odd that the groups were different anyway


NooHootoo - Community Artists

Post 4

KB

I've said my bit here F4758237?thread=8129129&post=107464514#p107464514 (post 12) and here F20760148?thread=8129624 (post 3), so I won't repeat it all here. smiley - laugh

But yes, I'd agree with merging the Photographers and Community Artists - but not the AViators. The audio work 2legs does, for instance, is nothing to do with the kind of content we produce, and it shouldn't be squeezed into the same volunteer group.


NooHootoo - Community Artists

Post 5

Tavaron da Quirm - Arts Editor

smiley - cheers So far there also were only positive responses from the Photographers.


NooHootoo - Community Artists

Post 6

Mrs Zen

On a different subject - I'd very much like to be able to use some of the community artists' work for publicity for h2g2c2. But to do that we need work that will look ok in black and white and where we've been given permission to use it by the artist.

If any of the images stand out please drop me a link.

Nominate your own! No-one knows them better! smiley - biggrin Nominate others'! I'll drop by and ask for their suggsetions and advice.

A million thanks.

B


NooHootoo - Community Artists

Post 7

Malabarista - now with added pony

Check this out: A53308361 - most of the artists should still be around.

If you want any of mine, I still have the line art for most of them and can do you b/w versions.


NooHootoo - Community Artists

Post 8

Malabarista - now with added pony

Oh, and maybe include a page/part of a page of Anarchy Gordon. Not because it's terribly good art, but because it shows the power of hootoo - Dmitri writes the script and I draw it, and we've never met in RL, or even chatted on the phone. Just h2g2.


NooHootoo - Community Artists

Post 9

KB

I think my favourite of mine is A53812749 (which shouldn't be hard to render in B/W - let me know if you want it).


NooHootoo - Community Artists

Post 10

Tavaron da Quirm - Arts Editor

Maybe you also find something here: A67356138


NooHootoo - Community Artists

Post 11

Tavaron da Quirm - Arts Editor

this would even be black and white already: A73987618


NooHootoo - Community Artists

Post 12

Malabarista - now with added pony

The real question there is how someone got away with posting an image that's 1.3MB big, we CAs have to stay under 100KB! smiley - doh


NooHootoo - Community Artists

Post 13

KB

smiley - laugh That wasn't the one used in the Entry, the full sized one was published when it won the competition, I think. But yes, even so!


NooHootoo - Community Artists

Post 14

Malabarista - now with added pony

Even for the Post, we're not allowed to go that big.

Image optimisation has been sporadically enforced and often simply done wrong lately. We'd need a dedicated volunteer to vet them before they go up...


NooHootoo - Community Artists

Post 15

KB

Unfortunately it's been that way since I've been a CA - you send a picture in, and sometimes it appears on site with a much bigger file size and a much-depleted quality, too. The worst of both worlds.

So yes, if any pictures are going to print it would be worth asking the artists if they still have the original, high quality version.


NooHootoo - Community Artists

Post 16

Mrs Zen

I'm a tart for black and white art. smiley - smiley You can email it to me if you like at [email protected]

I am limiting myself to 1 piece or two at most per artist, (the same with entries), and it would be really helpful if you were to choose them for me! I trust your judgement.

Please also let me know your U Number and give a link to the page it was used on.

This is SO helpful!

Actually, I could do with knowing which of your own entries you prefer because you good people are prolific writers too.... smiley - smiley Again, I need to limit myself to just one or at most two per writer, which is SO frustrating.


NooHootoo - Community Artists

Post 17

Tavaron da Quirm - Arts Editor

All I can suggest is not by me unfortunately. smiley - erm


NooHootoo - Community Artists

Post 18

Mrs Zen

I'm not quite as lazy as I seem - I am happily clicking the links. But shortcuts help!

B


NooHootoo - Community Artists

Post 19

Tavaron da Quirm - Arts Editor

ok, just suggestions:

A27881724 or A69401937 (the big one) both by Rich (U931109)

A805349 by Aurora (U142060) I think it could look good in black and white

not sure about that but kind of nice: A24990654 by Matt (U168592)

ok, 2 of my own that I quite like: A7951539A18190677 but I'm not sure if the bunny works in black and white


NooHootoo - Community Artists

Post 20

Tavaron da Quirm - Arts Editor

Ok, I just went through the whole list (A18356826). I tried to find pictures that still look good in black and white and out of context.

A680870 by RadoxTheGreen U194063
A13391075 by Gnomon U151503
A649208 by Venus U218978
A2141399 and A3093969 by Rich U931109
A26802605 by GB U128652 (could still be good in b/w)
A313282 by Emmily U190758 (I think it's very poetic... )

( A13200120 and A13663802 and A2622223 by ATinyDistantVoice U7464049 unfortunately hasn't posted for a long time smiley - erm )


Key: Complain about this post