A Conversation for The Other Side of the World

Alternative Writing Workshop: A823141 - The Other Side of the World

Post 1

LL Waz

Entry: The Other Side of the World - A823141
Author: Pinniped - U183682

ok, lets get the right workshop this time smiley - erm.

One of my favourites of Pin's writings, I looked for it a few weeks ago to read again and now it's particularly relevant this weekend.

I read it two and a half years ago and the impression it made is still there.

Waz




A823141 - The Other Side of the World

Post 2

michaeldetroit


'...time to get back to the future' indeed!

This not only deserves to be read, it needs to be heard.

Thanks Pinn. And thanks Waz. smiley - cheers

m


A823141 - The Other Side of the World

Post 3

frontiersman

I've just read this too! For the first time.
Pin sets us all very high standards, as usual.

It is a wonderful insight into the thinking of a Japanese gentleman who grew up close, physically and mentally, to the tragedy and consequences of the second world war.
Bitter conflict and its legacy has gradually turned into close friendship and mutual respect between
the Americans and the Japanese, and the spirit of cooperation, in business, economic and political terms has forged a formidable partnership between these distinctively different cultures.

There is the old guilt and there is always sorrow; on both sides of the Pacific.

My father's brother, my uncle Jim, who died only 3 months ago aged 85, was one of those who walked down the gangplank from his troopship onto the dockside in Singapore harbour straight into captivity. not a shot was fired. He spent 4 years as a prisoner of war under the Japanese, mostly in the Malayan jungle, and worked on the construction gangs building the Burma railway.
My father did not know him when he went to meet him off the ship in Liverpool. Uncle Jim found him!
He never forgave the Japanese, and would never consider buying their products. He was in the RAMC, the medical corps, and saw a lot of terrible illnesses and injuries.

But we must now go on with the good work, and build mutually beneficial working relationships with as many countries as we possibly can.
We must continue to learn to trust and to forgive former foes.

We now have a hidden enemy at our door. This one is going to take a great deal longer to resolve, I'm sorry to say.

f.


A823141 - The Other Side of the World

Post 4

frontiersman

By the way, thanks LLLWaz for bringing this Entry to our attention, as you say, at a significant moment in time.

f.


A823141 - The Other Side of the World

Post 5

Phred Firecloud

A very timely submission. Well written. Top notch.

-Phred


A823141 - The Other Side of the World

Post 6

J

Wow, I didn't know Pin wrote this well smiley - winkeye

"A bus pulls up in the Honkawa-cho, emitting a pneumatic hiss. That sound is a trademark of Japan, and the part of my mind that resonates with the country imagines the retreat of ghosts." will stay with me.

Powerful.

smiley - blacksheep


A823141 - The Other Side of the World

Post 7

Pinniped


"I spent too much time on the damn internet, typing up this and that... reading other people's stories and writing stories about other people, but never telling my own".

That'll stay with me too.


A823141 - The Other Side of the World

Post 8

J

What? That wasn't me. That was the... smiley - erm miner fellow.


A823141 - The Other Side of the World

Post 9

Pinniped


Yeah. I forgot. I just didn't know Ohio miners wrote that well.


A823141 - The Other Side of the World

Post 10

UnderGuide Editors

Congratulations I Land Inept Sheep (they really are much better dropped you know) smiley - bubbly on this entry being selected for the <./>underguide</.>.

An UnderGuide Gem Polisher will be in touch ... you know the rest.

Congrats again, and thank you for another one for the UG.


A823141 - The Other Side of the World

Post 11

Kat - From H2G2

Me me me! I'll be your polisher for this entry. Please do not be offended by any slight punctuation changes that your baby undergoes. All changes will be minor and no changes will be made to the actual piece...no matter how enthusiastic I get I promise smiley - winkeye

Congratulations on another brilliant piece Pin!

Your UG entry can be found at... A6694158

Kat


A823141 - The Other Side of the World

Post 12

Pinniped


Thanks Kat.
Fine job.
The one thing I'm still unsure about is how much it loses without its original date. What do you think?


A823141 - The Other Side of the World

Post 13

Kat - From H2G2

Perhaps we could put a date of writing at the top?
I'm not sure how important the date is, I have to say, personally. When I first read this piece I didn't even look at the date of writing and it still had a big effect on me.

What are general thoughts?


A823141 - The Other Side of the World

Post 14

LL Waz

The original date of writing places it. Perhaps put it at the end, like a signing off. Think it might over-emphasise it to have it at the beginning.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more