A Conversation for Gosford Park Film Review

Peer Review: A813601 - Gosford Park Film Review

Post 1

U182074

Entry: Gosford Park Film Review - A813601
Author: Yttrium smiley - smiley - U182074

This has already been through AWW, and, having been altered a little, I think it's now time to submit to Peer Review. Any criticism (be it constructive or just plain mean) is accepted - I'm new here and need to be told how stuff's done!


A813601 - Gosford Park Film Review

Post 2

Gubernatrix

Hi YYtrium,

Good overview of the movie smiley - ok, I like it.

I do have a couple of comments - some fact, some opinion!

>>Gosford Park is a recently-released movie,

Not any more. Perhaps you should just say it was made in 2001.

>>It was he that wrote, co-produced, and directed the movie.

Altman didn't write the movie, it was a British writer called Julian Fellowes who wrote the screenplay (and won the Oscar). There was also controversy at the time, as apparently Altman said in a few interviews that the film had been largely improvised. However, he stopped saying this after a while.

Technically Altman and Bob Balaban appear to have 'writing credits' but just for 'idea', which doesn't imply any script-writing.

>>Even less charmed is his ice-queen of a wife

Do you mean she was even less charmed by him than everyone else, or do you mean that she is less *charming*?

>> I feel that it also should have won “Best Picture”, but the competition was tough, and a British film can sometimes be lost on the American judges.

I think that this comment is out of place in the entry - after all, it's the opinion of one person who liked the movie. There was no general outcry at the time and the actual winner that year, A Beautiful Mind, was also very popular.

The comment about a British film being lost on American judges is also unfair. Altman is hardly Ken Loach. In fact, this is the kind of 'British' period drama that Americans generally love.

Apart from those small points, however, this is a good entry.

Gubernatrix


A813601 - Gosford Park Film Review

Post 3

U182074

Ok, I'll update the entry with your suggestions once a few more people have posted (do it in stages, I reckon). In response to "even less charmed is his ice queen of a wife", it's a slightly old-fashioned English colloquialism (I suppose) of even less charming - which is the underlying sense. It's just a bit more flowing, and, well, advanced, I suppose, but I'll change it if it is a problem. Keep the comments flowing, it's always good to hear stuff about something you've written; keeps you on your toes, I reckon)


A813601 - Gosford Park Film Review

Post 4

McKay The Disorganised

Perhaps a bit more on Stephan Frost's character and his sterotypical re-inforcement of attitudes of the times ? Incidently there is a 'by' missing before Stephen Fry's name.

Good stuff smiley - ok


A813601 - Gosford Park Film Review

Post 5

McKay The Disorganised

smiley - ermJust who the hell is Stephan Frost ? smiley - grr I MEANT Stephen Fry.smiley - doh


A813601 - Gosford Park Film Review

Post 6

Gubernatrix

Hi again,

I don't understand your comment about 'charmed'. There's nothing colloquial or advanced about it, it is simply a question of whether the attribute is being applied actively or passively.

If you are 'charmed', you are charmed *by* something or someone (passive).

If you are 'charming', that is an attribute of your character that other people may experience (active).

Unless, of course, you are using the word 'charmed' in the sense of lucky or fortunate. In other words, the wife is even less fortunate than her husband. Given the context, this seems less likely, but I guess it is possible.


A813601 - Gosford Park Film Review

Post 7

U182074

Ok then. I guess I was probably using it to mean that the guests are even less charmed by her than by him.....

Anyway, I don't think it matters, but it'll get changed, for I am certain that your grip on English is stronger than mine (for I am a mere 15 year old boy...) Guess I stand corrected... Anyway, thanks for your comments and I'll just wait for a few more and then do a big update.


A813601 - Gosford Park Film Review

Post 8

U182074

Thanks very much for all your input. I've updated the entry as you suggested (including 'charming' - I've swallowed my pride, for once!)

Now, having never done this before, I'm unsure what I have to do next. Does it just hang around in Peer Review until an administrator or something has a chance to look at it, or do I have to do something actively, myself ? In AWW, where this was first posted, someone said something about it being "ideal material for The Post!" Erm....what is the post, and how can I get my article into it ?

Thanks v. much for your time and helpful suggestions ! smiley - smiley


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 9

h2g2 auto-messages

Your Guide Entry has just been picked from Peer Review by one of our Scouts, and is now heading off into the Editorial Process, which ends with publication in the Edited Guide. We've therefore moved this Review Conversation out of Peer Review and to the entry itself.

If you'd like to know what happens now, check out the page on 'What Happens after your Entry has been Recommended?' at EditedGuide-Process. We hope this explains everything.

Thanks for contributing to the Edited Guide!


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 10

The Researcher formally known as Dr St Justin

Congrats Yttrium, top stuff!

smiley - bubbly


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 11

U182074

Cheers ! :D


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more