A Conversation for GREEN DAY

Peer Review: A802702 - GREEN DAY

Post 1

Anachronism

Entry: GREEN DAY - A802702
Author: Poison_Girl-Fallen From Grace - U197284

anyone else see Green Day at the M.E.N arean on the 7th of december 2000?


A802702 - GREEN DAY

Post 2

Researcher 177704

I think there's definitely the beginnings of an concise entry on Green Day here. You've certainly included lots of information about the band members, which was interesting. A few things i noticed were -

1) Perhaps you could tidy the entry up a bit, and use some GuideML, which would make it a lot easier to read.

2)The band's first album was actually called '39/Smooth'. On '1,039/Smoothed out slappy hours' the bands early work was all lumped together to produce a longer CD; tracks 1-10 were from this album. Songs 11-14 were from the Slappy EP, 15-18 were fromthe '1000 Hours EP'and the track 19 was from the Flipside 'The Big One' comp. Ok?

3) Song 14 on '1,039/Smoothed...' was written by the seminal yet short-lived Californian band Operation Ivy, from their 'Energy' album. Their singer, Jesse Michaels, also provided the album's cover and 'clock' cd design. He later went on to become a Buddhist monk, i'm not sure if he's still playing punk rock.

4) Shenigans and International Superhits aren't technically studio albums, they're compilations.

5) Perhaps you could talk about the band's move from an Independent record label (Lookout! Records) to a major label. Many less-kind people would call this 'selling out'.

6) The name of Tre's daughter, Ramona, is clearly a reference to possibly the most important punk band of all time, the Ramones. You could go even further, and talk about the band's musical influences as a whole. Op. Ivy and the Clash are two of their main influences.

7) You could mention the way that such poor drop-out kids used music to really turn around their lives. They went from playing basement shows to the legendary Gilman Street club in Berkley, and then on even further to play Woodstock and fill stadia.

As a general comment, i think you need to talk more about the band, and generally 'pad' the entry out a bit more. Why not comment on each album, giving a mini-review and overview? Have a look at some of the other entries about bands in the Guide to see what i mean - C495

smiley - rocket


A802702 - GREEN DAY

Post 3

Anachronism

jesse is still part of a punk band-Rancid


A802702 - GREEN DAY

Post 4

Researcher 177704

Operation Ivy's guitarist, Tim Armstrong (known in Op. Ivy as 'lint'), and bassist Matt Freeman went on to form Rancid, along with drummer Brett Reed and later, the ex-UK Subs guitarist Lars Frederiksen.

Thinking about it a little harder, Jesse Michaels has been in two bands - Big Rig and Commonrider, but i have heard neither. He has never been in Rancid though.

smiley - rocket


A802702 - GREEN DAY

Post 5

The GR Manoeuvre --- a posting a day keeps the reaper away

Hi there!

This has good potential for an Edited Entry, but in its current state it needs some more work... I would suggest that you move this Entry out of Peer Review to the Writing-Workshop so you can work on it a little more... perhaps you could also have a look at the Writing-Guidelines to give you idea of what finished Entries that were in Peer Review and are now Edited should be like...

Definitely a good idea for an Entry, though!smiley - ok

Caper Plipsmiley - runsmiley - football


A802702 - GREEN DAY

Post 6

Researcher 177704

Here's how you move the entry...

smiley - cakesmiley - cakesmiley - cakesmiley - cake

You have to remove your entry from the first Review Forum and then resubmit your entry to the new Review Forum. This has the effect of forcing you to start a new Review Conversation....

If you are the author of an entry or the person who put that entry into a Review Forum, then you will see a 'Remove' link next to that entry when you look at the relevant Review Forum. Clicking this will remove that entry from the Review Forum, moving the Review Conversation to the entry itself.

The quickest way to access the 'Remove' link is to visit the entry, click the link in the Entry Data box to the Review Conversation, and then to click on the 'Entry List' link to take you to the Review Forum. You should see your entry there with a relevant 'Remove' link.

Then just resubmit your entry to the Writing Workshop.

smiley - cakesmiley - cakesmiley - cakesmiley - cake

smiley - rocket


A802702 - GREEN DAY

Post 7

Friar

Hey poison_girl, I would love to work with you on this article in writing workshop. A little GuideML and a bunch more information will really make this a great entry.

There's some good advice in this thread, and you can make this a MUST READ article (especially since the story is so good!).

Looking forward to seeing it in the Writing Workshop!

Friar


A802702 - GREEN DAY

Post 8

Researcher 177704

Do stay with this article, Poison Girl. You've tackled a very popular, and somewhat influential, band here and having an entry on Green Day would enhance the Edited Guide.

I don't know if you're familiar with GuideML, but the best place to start is the <./>GuideML-Clinic</.>. Alternatively, you could get a Guru to help you, like me smiley - smiley

smiley - rocket


A802702 - GREEN DAY

Post 9

DoctorGonzo

Great start. I agree with everyone here that there's definately potential here, but that it's not quite ready yet for the edited guide. Please stick with it - I'd really like to see an entry on this band. (I've only ever heard 'Dookie', which was a perfect album for a grumpy teenager. Which I was.)


A802702 - GREEN DAY

Post 10

The GR Manoeuvre --- a posting a day keeps the reaper away

PoisonGirl... are you still working on this Entry?smiley - biggrin

Caper Plipsmiley - runsmiley - football


A802702 - GREEN DAY

Post 11

Researcher 177704

I don't think Poison_Girl is still working on this, but I'm about a third of the way through an entry about Green Day that incorporates all the research that PG did in this entry plus some more stuff about the band.

smiley - rocket


A802702 - GREEN DAY

Post 12

The GR Manoeuvre --- a posting a day keeps the reaper away

Okay, this will be the *third* time that I've GRed this... now, please can this Entry be moved back to the Entry?

Scouts? Any seconders?

Caper Plipsmiley - runsmiley - football


A802702 - GREEN DAY

Post 13

There is only one thing worse than being Gosho, and that is not being Gosho

So seconded


A802702 - GREEN DAY

Post 14

Monsignore Pizzafunghi Bosselese

Seeing that poison girl has unsubscribed... fluffily seconded/thirded or whatever.


A802702 - GREEN DAY

Post 15

netty

I hope this convo hasn`t died already! especially as its the first one I`m joining. smiley - smiley as a big green day fan I am really interested to read anything about the band...and as a regular visitor to the band site and message board...I hope I can be of some service, even if only a little bit!


A802702 - GREEN DAY

Post 16

There is only one thing worse than being Gosho, and that is not being Gosho

Hello netty, and let me be one of the first to welcome you to h2g2 smiley - biggrin.smiley - spaceI see that you've already activated your Personal Space, so you should be getting an official welcome from an h2g2 Assistant Community Editor soon.

This thread had pretty much ground to a halt, but it looks like you've revived it smiley - smiley The entry about Green Day to which it's attached was originally written by the author with intention of being included in the edited section of the Guide, but it didn't quite make the grade and I guess they didn't want to work on it any more and bring it up to scratch.

If you'd like to either write a new entry yourself, or use this one as a template, the Guide could sure use an entry about Green Day. Here are some links for you to follow which will give you plenty of information about the entry-writing and submitting process:

PeerReview
Writing-Beginners
Writing-Guidelines

If you need to know anything else, just reply to this message, and myself or any of the other h2g2 Scouts who are subscribed to the thread will be glad to help out smiley - ok


A802702 - GREEN DAY

Post 17

netty

Thank you! smiley - smiley now I just have to decide which to do first...a Green Day entry or one for my other favourite band the Frustrators..which is so far missing from the Guide.

thanks for the welcome and the advice! smiley - smiley


A802702 - GREEN DAY

Post 18

There is only one thing worse than being Gosho, and that is not being Gosho

Haven't heard of the Frustrators, but if we don't have an entry on them, then we should jolly well have one smiley - biggrin


Key: Complain about this post