A Conversation for Baths and the art of Bathing in the UK

Peer Review: A797781 - Baths and the art of Bathing in the UK

Post 1

Fate Amenable To Change

Entry: Baths and the art of Bathing in the UK - A797781
Author: Fate Amenable To Change - U196191

In this fast paced world few people still appreciate the sensual pleasure of a proper Bath.
Showers are increasingly popular and the whole notion of speed during washing can be summed up by that awful invention Wash and Go.
Having a Bath takes time and effort but well rewards you with supersoft scented skin, utter relaxation and an hour of doing nothing much except messing about in some water.


A797781 - Baths and the art of Bathing in the UK

Post 2

Sea Change

I don't see anything UK-specific about this procedure. I was prepared to read about nationalistic washing-up quirks.

This article seems to be more about how to have a nice bathe than bathtubs or baths themselves. How about a more specific title?


A797781 - Baths and the art of Bathing in the UK

Post 3

Zarquon's Singing Fish!

I agree with Sea Change about the title and also wonder about the specificity to the UK. I for one never bathe in this manner, although these days I most often shower. For one thing, in an age where people are conscious of the need to preserve the environment, I would not recommend the use of so much water.

smiley - fishsmiley - musicalnote


A797781 - Baths and the art of Bathing in the UK

Post 4

Fate Amenable To Change

I specified UK baths because on the continent the baths are a different kettle of fish altogether and they are different again in Asia ie different shape and a different attitude towards how to bathe.
The title says the Art of bathing... which does rather suggest that it is about *how* to bathe and not a history of bath shapes or it's popularity when it was invented, what ancient humanity used etc. Any idiot can pick up some soap but not everyone knows how to Bath properly and setting out a How To was what I intended. Sorry if you were dissapointed.
Also - Environment wise - yes, a bath can be seen as decadent and uncaring in comparison to a shower but if you read the article you'll appreciate that there's no way that you'd be able to find the time to bath like this daily, it is an indulgence, an hour or so of relaxing time spent wallowing in warm water. And as things go, the environment has probably been more damaged by the plastics etc that go into making these computers we are all using and the powering of the same than by the people who occasionaly heat up water and sit in it for an hour.
I may add some stuff regarding Baths, a History, as and when I am able to find the time.


A797781 - Baths and the art of Bathing in the UK

Post 5

Sea Change

The continent of Europe may be the only interesting contrast with the UK to you, but I think it's unlikely the majority of h2g2ers think this way exclusively. In particular, there are two Edited Entry counterexamples, one on the Turkish Baths in the UK, and the other on Japanese baths. I doubt the Continetals exclusively bathe exactly in those two ways.

It's my personal knowledge, from actually having done it, that you can bathe with your method in all of the States of the United States I've been in, and I've been in 35 of them. You can also do this in British Colombia near Vancouver, and near Banff in the Tetons of Canada. I've personally seen bathtubs where this is possible in Mazatla'n, Ensenada and Culiaca'n, Mexico. For a title, how about '.... in the UK, Canada, Mexico and the US?'

Since you didn't intend your article to be about baths, which is perfectly acceptable to me, why not just title it 'The art of bathing...(for wherever geographical region you would like it to cover)' or just 'How to have a delightful bath'?


A797781 - Baths and the art of Bathing in the UK

Post 6

Sol

I loved this article! Especially as I had a lovely long soak yesterday evening... And personally I found the title pretty explainitory, although I can see that as it isn't, say, an established traditional ritual thing (well... smiley - winkeye ), it doesn't have to be UK specific. How are baths on the continet different (just curious...).

One thing I will say regarding stylee (though, you understand, this is well written (well, of course you do smiley - smiley ), is that the Writing Guidelines are rather against the use of "I", even - I think - when you are just saying what you are going to write about, or whatever (as opposed to expressing an opinion).


A797781 - Baths and the art of Bathing in the UK

Post 7

Fate Amenable To Change

Continental baths are more like the Japanese style of bathing and more like my suggested 'first bath' or pre-bath bath, a kind of small bath and shower combo to get rid of muck but doesn't really involve the whole soak aspect and relies more upon showering.
Turkish baths are not really much like a Bath as I am describing are they? They are communal as opposed to solitary, public as opposed to domestic, the whole water and what goes in the water is utterly different and they are relaxing on a whole different wave length.
I specified UK (although I wish I had specified England) because I *know* this is how to bathe properly here, and because Baths, like Tea, are very much an English thing regardless of where the idea has been exported to.
Solnushka - will change the usage of 'I' smiley - smiley


A797781 - Baths and the art of Bathing in the UK

Post 8

Sol

Well, I do see what you mean about the whole Bath concept as being very English (as oposed to what I now see is the bath concept), and entirely distinct from Turkish Baths (which I rather think do also deserve capitals for all the effort involved...). I'm not sure the 'in the UK' portion of the title conveys that though. Still.


A797781 - Baths and the art of Bathing in the UK

Post 9

Jimi X

My wife sometimes bathes like this, but like most households in the US, we shower.

Perhaps naming it 'How to take a luxurious bath' since this style of bathing amounts to a special luxurious bath when you can find the time to pamper yourself during your otherwise frentic life.

But I liked the entry. smiley - ok

- Jimi X


A797781 - Baths and the art of Bathing in the UK

Post 10

Sea Change

I think that properness and propriety are very good things for a tourist to know. Since what is proper changes wherever you go, then "how to properly bathe when you are in England" is an excellent topic. Imaging taking a bath on H2G2 and not bringing one's Towel! I also think writing about what you know is a surely a good thing.

I just didn't grok the propriety and locality bits from reading it the first time, and I don't understand them now from reading it again.

Perhaps additional introduction is needed? Perhaps some examples of what others might think was acceptable bathing (and might be acceptable elsewhere), but which are in fact terrible faux pas? What gentle corrections might be needed should one find oneself caught in an awful bathing situation, if one ever finds oneself in Bath?


A797781 - Baths and the art of Bathing in the UK

Post 11

The Apprentice

I don't know. It feels like the article is trying to be more than you suggest that you want it to be. You say that it isn't about the shape of the bath, materials, etc... and then string a load of bath types together. Better to drop that altogether.

My personal experience of the English bath experience is:

- bathe until the water is: cold; grey; scummy.

- use whatever bath water enhancing products are available, e.g. half-used bottles of oil, caked-up boxes of old Radox powder, Vim, fizzy indigestion tablets, etc.

- attempt to drown yourself by falling asleep.

- when departing from the bath, pull the plug first and lie there while the water runs off, leaving your body spattered and surrounded with thin trails of bath sludge. These can easily be towelled off.

I have never seen anyone shower after having a bath!

Keep refining this. It has potential, but as of yet it is: too unfocussed (i.e. you say it should be about one thing, but some bits almost suggest you're not sure) and not Anglicized enough. It almost deserves being a Community piece with multiple points of feedback.

The Apprentice


A797781 - Baths and the art of Bathing in the UK

Post 12

Fate Amenable To Change

Alright alright I give in in the face of such peer pressure. I shall research the variety and history of baths and add in some stuff pertaining to whole Uk ness of it - The American geezer pointed out that Americans tend to shower, as do the Europeans which was rather my point but I shall make it more signposted.
And I still stand by my point that baths in this sense rather than the ghastly depictation above are how the English Bathe! Did no one underdstand Douglas Adams references about bathing to avoid deadlines ?
And yes I can add some peculiarities to English Bathing ie if you bath at another's house you need to warn the rest of the household in advance, especially if the loo isn't in a seperate room and probably need to ask your host to put on the emersion (sp?) about an hour before you need to have said bath. Can't see the latter happening anywhere else except here.


A797781 - Baths and the art of Bathing in the UK

Post 13

The Apprentice

<QUOTE>
And I still stand by my point that baths in this sense rather than the ghastly depictation above are how the English Bathe!


Pah! I don't think you're English at all...

Imposter!

The Apprentice


A797781 - Baths and the art of Bathing in the UK

Post 14

Fate Amenable To Change

you know the quote of D Adams where he's talking about the Long Dark Tea Time of the Soul, you know, the lethargy / depression / gloom that sets in on Sunday afternoons after you've had as many baths as is possible ?
Clue - to have several baths you don't let the water go cold and scummy, well, unless you're Fish out of Marillion but he's Scottish...


A797781 - Baths and the art of Bathing in the UK

Post 15

Z

Hello I was wondering if you'd made any progress towards making changes to this piece? If not could you please remove it from PR by clicking the remove link next to it?


A797781 - Baths and the art of Bathing in the UK

Post 16

Dr Hell

I suggest a move to the Entry. The author seems to have abandoned this one. Maybe he'll overwork this one and resubmit it when it's done.

HELL


A797781 - Baths and the art of Bathing in the UK

Post 17

The Apprentice

Or, if we're really lucky, he'll abandon it all together and I can take it up and work in the scummy bath bit the piece so desperately needs...

smiley - biggrin

The Apprentice
smiley - scientist
Sub-Editor


A797781 - Baths and the art of Bathing in the UK

Post 18

There is only one thing worse than being Gosho, and that is not being Gosho

I second your move Hell smiley - ok


A797781 - Baths and the art of Bathing in the UK

Post 19

Dr Hell

Yo... Gosho... psst, could you please jump in (as a good seconder) and do the formalia, I can't mail from here


A797781 - Baths and the art of Bathing in the UK

Post 20

The Apprentice

Um... is something happening here?

Um... so, is this heading to the Flea Market?

If so, can I lay claim early?

Hmm...

smiley - ta

The Apprentice
smiley - scientist
Sub-Editor


Key: Complain about this post