A Conversation for Shoeless Joe Jackson and The Chicago Black Sox Scandal

Peer Review: A792038 - Shoeless Joe Jackson and The Chicago Black Sox Scandal

Post 1

Jimi X

Entry: Shoeless Joe Jackson and The Chicago Black Sox Scandal - A792038
Author: Jimi X - U53353

A brilliant entry Fenny started a million years ago, I've added a bit more to it and cleaned up the GuideML.

I haven't added the links yet, but I'll get to them soon enough.

A792038

smiley - cheers

- Jimi X


A792038 - Shoeless Joe Jackson and The Chicago Black Sox Scandal

Post 2

McKay The Disorganised

I'd never heard of this before, but now I know where 'say it ain't so Joe' comes from.

Informative, enjoyable, simple. Though perhaps a note on the 'world' series might help. I know what it is, but other people may not, and I would be unsure on qualification and deciding the series.

smiley - ok


A792038 - Shoeless Joe Jackson and The Chicago Black Sox Scandal

Post 3

Zarquon's Singing Fish!

I agree totally with McKay here, Jimi. It's a nice entry, however I know nothing about the rules of baseball, so the statistics don't mean anything to me.

Also, it would be good to say who Comisky is before telling his story. Is he the owner, president, or whatever the chief of a baseball team is called?

smiley - fishsmiley - musicalnote


A792038 - Shoeless Joe Jackson and The Chicago Black Sox Scandal

Post 4

Researcher 177704

Yeah, more baseball-related detail in this entry wouldn't go amiss. Remember that a lot of the readers of this entry won't know a think about baseball, so it's important to be detailed and clear.

A footnote explaining who the Reds were and where they were from would be nice. Is the team just called 'Reds' or is that just a nickname?

smiley - rocket


A792038 - Shoeless Joe Jackson and The Chicago Black Sox Scandal

Post 5

There is only one thing worse than being Gosho, and that is not being Gosho

I've seen a documentary about this - on British tv too, for those of you who are claiming utter ignorance of all things baseball smiley - winkeye - and this is pretty much as I remember it. I don't even know if Jimi has implimented all the suggestions as I knew them anyway and took them as read.

I'm wondering if there's a campaign afoot to get Shoeless Joe reinstated so that he can be honoured at Cooperstown.

Excellent entry Jim smiley - ok but I think that the philistines above smiley - nahnah have some valid points smiley - smiley


A792038 - Shoeless Joe Jackson and The Chicago Black Sox Scandal

Post 6

Researcher 177704

Possible references...

A337042 - The World Series
A565779 - The Edited Entry entitled 'Baseball' isn't that great, so I suggest you reference this one instead.
http://www.chisox.com/ - Official Chicago White Sox Website.
http://www.majorleaguebaseball.com/ - Major League Baseball

smiley - rocket Man - Philistine


A792038 - Shoeless Joe Jackson and The Chicago Black Sox Scandal

Post 7

Smij - Formerly Jimster

Superb. Looking forward to this getting trhough so I can link it back to our Field of Dreams entry.

Good work!!


A792038 - Shoeless Joe Jackson and The Chicago Black Sox Scandal

Post 8

Number Six

I think I have something to add on the question of the World Series, maybe to be added here or somewhere else... I'm not sure, I'm new round here!

Anyway, this comes verbatim from a very knowledgeable friend of mine, so I have no way of confirming its truth apart from the fact that he rarely doesn't know what he's on about.

His point was this: the baseball 'World Series' wasn't named because of it being a world championship. It was sponsored by the owner of a newspaper, the 'World'. Presumably the 'World' was based in a city, so it must have been, say, the 'Chicago World' or similar. Anyway, the paper went bust in the 1920s or 30s, but its great legacy was the concept of the 'World Series' in USA-based sport.

All other 'World Series' on other sports were named after the baseball one, and I think those were and are intended to be some form of World Championship. But the baseball one didn't start out that way.

smiley - ale


A792038 - Shoeless Joe Jackson and The Chicago Black Sox Scandal

Post 9

Jimi X

smiley - cheers everyone!

I've fixed the bits where I cut out Comiskey's first name and title and the name of the Cincinnati Reds (too eager with the editing! smiley - winkeye).

I reckon the baseball and World Series entries will help explain most of the heavy details. I don't see much else that requires special baseball knowledge - except for his career stats, and I only included them because they're important to baseball fans.

Baseball is a game in which everything is charted by statistics from the number of hits divided by at-bats (batting average) to the total number of special things like two-base hits. It's how we compare players from the 1900s with players of today. (even if the comparisons aren't always valid because of changes in playing conditions, athlete strength, etc.)

I'm in the process of adding the links to other entries now...


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 10

h2g2 auto-messages

Your Guide Entry has just been picked from Peer Review by one of our Scouts, and is now heading off into the Editorial Process, which ends with publication in the Edited Guide. We've therefore moved this Review Conversation out of Peer Review and to the entry itself.

If you'd like to know what happens now, check out the page on 'What Happens after your Entry has been Recommended?' at EditedGuide-Process. We hope this explains everything.

Thanks for contributing to the Edited Guide!


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 11

Jimi X

smiley - bubbly all around then?


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 12

There is only one thing worse than being Gosho, and that is not being Gosho

*Holds out an empty champagne flute* smiley - tongueout

Well done Jimi smiley - ok


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 13

Zarquon's Singing Fish!

smiley - bubbly *pours a glass or two*.

Excellent!

smiley - fishsmiley - musicalnote


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Shoeless Joe Jackson and The Chicago Black Sox Scandal

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more