A Conversation for Talking Point: What makes a good website?

website everything

Post 1

ttholt

I've been online for almost five years.
God I hate popup ads. They're always for products and services I don't want, can't use, and can't afford. And they always get in the way. If you're going to pop up, it had better be because I won the lottery.
I've been online for five years, and I've only found this just now. USA search engines do not seem to like UK search engines. I was actually looking for a really good London Newspaper, and found this instead. Luckily I knew what this was all about, because the search engine was completely unhelpful. My dog communicates better than most search engines.
I now read all my newspapers online to help reduce paper waste and save the planet, dammit. Now I have to go back and find a good London newspaper online. I think California delivery would be a bit difficult. Your paper carrier would have to clear an ocean and a couple of mountain ranges, and I don't think his arm is that good...
XXX porn websites are the most boring ones I've ever seen. I think it would be sooo funny if some old ladies would audition to become topless dancers at a nightclub and then sue for age discrimination when they don't get hired, and then get hired as a result of a lawsuit and then drive every patron away because of the gross sight of wrinkles and sagging breasts. When I'm 64, that's my new quest...
Site map? What's a site map?
Forget graphics. They take up too much space, and used to be cool artwork back in the day, but are now always advertisements. For products and services I don't use and can't afford.
This website works nicely. Thank you. And let me add that your prime minister is now considered a stud for so manfully stepping up to the plate on 9/11 and his support of the USA. I take it we're forgiven for our little spat a couple hundred years ago.


website everything

Post 2

J'au-æmne

Hi there If you still haven't found what you're looking for re UK newspapers, try the following (search for the names on a search engine and put +.uk to get the uk versions) smiley - smiley


For UK papers there's the two I buy occasionally:
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/ - The Times
http://www.guardianunlimited.co.uk/ - The Guardian
Some others, still broadsheets:
http://www.independent.co.uk/ - the Independent
http://www.observer.co.uk/ - the Observer which is affiliated with the Guardian in some way I've yet to understand...
And some tabloids:
http://www.mirror.co.uk/ - the Mirror
http://www.thesun.co.uk/ - the Sun

you can also try the Daily Express and the Daily Telegraph - two more broadsheets.

For a London specific paper, try http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/ - somehow this manages to be the website of the London Evening Standard.


website everything

Post 3

Inkwash

And I second the stab at pop-up ads.

The provider I run my personal site from has given them up... finally, and uses banners instead. Banners are still visible and easy to ignore at your leisure.

Good for us, bad for advertising.
Suits me fine! smiley - biggrin


website everything

Post 4

shrinkwrapped

Hello Inkwash! Good to see you're still around. How are you?

Joanna, I believe the Observer is just the Sunday incarnation of The Guardian. But I've never bothered to read it.


website everything

Post 5

Inkwash

Mr T! smiley - ok
How's tricks?

Didn't you used to be a scout? Where's the badge?


website everything

Post 6

shrinkwrapped

I was, one of the first! What happened was that I went to Uni and didn't have regular access to the 'net, which meant I couldn't be a decent Scout.

I hope to return to my duties if we get a connection of some sort in my new house, so we'll see.

And you?


website everything

Post 7

Inkwash

I became an ACE and a GA.

I still GA when I have a minute. Had to quit acing.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more