Talking Point: What makes a good website?

21 Conversations

A good example of a great website.

There are lots of reasons to launch your own website. Hopefully, annoying your visitors is not one of them. Good design is as important as good content. If nobody can find or read what you have to say, there's not much point in it being there.

The trouble is that website design is very similar to the fashion catwalk; something one designer swears by is likely to be something that another designer won't even look at. How can we make sure that our websites appeal to everyone. What makes a good website?

  • Are flashy graphics and elaborate fonts the best way, or should the layout be simple?

  • Backgrounds are very important as the text needs to be easy to read. Would you chose a picture as a background?

  • Are popups ever worth it?

  • Large files can slow a site down. Is there a good way around this?

  • Should sites be written for all browsers and formats, or is it normal practice to limit functionality to one or two?

  • Is it ok to force visitors to listen to sound files when they visit your site?

  • Does anybody ever use a sitemap?

  • Animated GIFs, are they really as bad as some designers think?

  • What's the easiest way to make websites user-friendly?

A568721http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/2041040.stmhttp://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/classic/A157466

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A788457

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

References

h2g2 Entries

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more