A Conversation for 24 Lies A Second

Sentimental Cop Out?

Post 61

Mr. Legion

No no, he definitely was. I remember now. Danny, his name was. Same voice, same napalmed-hippy look, everything. That guy cracks me up.

"So 'ere I am in Sri Lanka (formerly Ceylon), and we 'ave to get 5000 brown M&Ms or Ozzy won't go on stage....turns out the sweetshop owner instead of a guard dog 'as this bloody great Bengal tiger...I dealt wif the tiger alright, but the shopkeeper...well, that was a different matter entirely...*wistful pause* ...I 'ad to beat 'im to def wif his own shoe..."

smiley - laughsmiley - laughsmiley - laughsmiley - laugh One of my top ten movie moments.


Sentimental Cop Out?

Post 62

Catwoman

Thanks , thought I was insane. Haven't actually seen film, it was just a clip from one of those 'top 100' things, and I was like, hey, guy from waynes world.

I like Wayne.


Sentimental Cop Out?

Post 63

DoctorMO (Keeper of the Computer, Guru, Community Artist)

hmmm, I may go and we it though.

-- DoctorMO --


Sentimental Cop Out?

Post 64

Awix

Same actor, Ralph Brown (he was also a squadron leader in Phantom Menace, but you already knew that).

Mike Myers was based in the UK in the mid-80s (working for breakfast telly IIRC) so very likely saw W&I when it first came out.


Sentimental Cop Out?

Post 65

DoctorMO (Keeper of the Computer, Guru, Community Artist)

Interesting, so you think alot of the ideas are just repeats?

-- DoctorMO --


Sentimental Cop Out?

Post 66

Mr. Legion

Well I've spotted at least that one, and the whole mugging-to-the-camera schtick is familiar too... I'm sure there are more examples if I went and watched the films again.


Sentimental Cop Out?

Post 67

DoctorMO (Keeper of the Computer, Guru, Community Artist)

Does this mean that comedy is efectivly dead, with people copying each other?

-- DoctorMO --


Sentimental Cop Out?

Post 68

Awix

Well, I wouldn't necessarily say dead, as long as people keep reinventing things in their own style. I mean, the 'nudity obscured by passing objects' gag goes back at least as far as Benny Hill, and the whole silhouettes-in-a-tent routine was nicked wholesale from Carry On Camping. But Myers does it in his own way.


Sentimental Cop Out?

Post 69

Mr. Legion

I wouldn't think it was so bad if he was simply copying jokes from other distant sources, as long as he did them in a new and funny way. But using his old jokes, and recycling all the old characters (Fat B*****d, Mini-Me) shows that either his creative juices are running dry or he's being forced to pander to studio executives with their eyes on the bottom line.


Sentimental Cop Out?

Post 70

DoctorMO (Keeper of the Computer, Guru, Community Artist)

By the bottom line, I prosume thats the Total Profit: line?

-- DoctrorMO --


Sentimental Cop Out?

Post 71

Mr. Legion

Yes indeed, the only line worth eyeing.

It's so depressing when actors sell out. See also Ed Harris in those bloody terrible car ads, and Sam L. Jackson for Barclays Bank. For shame, Samuel! For shame! It's not as if he's living off dog food and tap water.


Sentimental Cop Out?

Post 72

DoctorMO (Keeper of the Computer, Guru, Community Artist)

hmmm,


Sentimental Cop Out?

Post 73

Catwoman

There is only a limited number of ideas in the universe.

Blah blah blah bringing jokes to new audiences, some people haven't seen Withnail&I or Benny Hill etc, so benefit from getting to see good jokes that they would otherwise not see blah blah...


Key: Complain about this post