A Conversation for Green Day, The Band - From the Beginnings until American Idiot

Peer Review: A7840659 - Green Day: A Rough Guide

Post 1

Not him

Entry: Green Day: A Rough Guide - A7840659
Author: Brown Eyed Girl - U2385902

this subject needs an entry. this is quite good, and the editor is around, too.


A7840659 - Green Day: A Rough Guide

Post 2

Brown Eyed Girl

Yes here I am. The text was mainly there, I just tidied it up, changed a few incorrect facts and guideMLed it, put headings in etc. There isn't an entry on Green Day in the edited guide.


A7840659 - Green Day: A Rough Guide

Post 3

The stone eater aka SigSig (SI) - webmaster

Good article, well done.

I was thinking an brief into would be useful, saying that greenday is a american rock?punk?pop? band, that it started mainstream sucess in 1994 with the albumn Dookie. And maybe a list of who is in the band, and their roles, here.


Also could links to the fansites be added?


Well done,

SI



A7840659 - Green Day: A Rough Guide

Post 4

Brown Eyed Girl

Okay, I added a brief intro and the fansites are at the end. Anything else I can put in?

Thanks for helping.


A7840659 - Green Day: A Rough Guide

Post 5

Mr. Dreadful - But really I'm not actually your friend, but I am...

To fit in with the house style you should change the title to 'Green Day - The Band'.


A7840659 - Green Day: A Rough Guide

Post 6

Mr. Dreadful - But really I'm not actually your friend, but I am...

Oh, and the first header isn't necessary.

smiley - cheers


A7840659 - Green Day: A Rough Guide

Post 7

Brown Eyed Girl

smiley - cheers

Have sorted that! Anything else need doing?


A7840659 - Green Day: A Rough Guide

Post 8

Elentari

smiley - book to come back to later.


A7840659 - Green Day: A Rough Guide

Post 9

The stone eater aka SigSig (SI) - webmaster

Ok...
This might seem a bit picky, keep in mind that this is a good article
and dont get disheartened.


" In that year they released their first EP, called Sweet Children. They then released the 1000 Hours EP in 1989."
What is an EP? it needs explaining cos if i dont know there are probably others that dont.

"The song was almost left off of the album for being 'Too girly' as it is an accoustic" does the Too there need a capital?

"Three years passed and they released another studio album, Warning, in 2000." this sentence is a little ugly. maybe something like: Three years later, in 2000, they released another studio album, Warning.
Im not great at enlish so you might be able to think of a better way to put it.

"Billie Joe was the youngest of six kids in a working-class family in Rodeo, California" can that 'kids' be changed to children as technically a kid is a baby goat.

"He met Billie Joe in the fifth grade, " maybe put an age rather than a grade as most of us dont know what fifth grade means.

"At fifteen he rented a room on the side of Billie's house. Though he and his ex-wife, Anastasia divorced, they are still good friends, and he visits their daughter, Estelle, as often as possible." To me that seems to jump a bit, maybe mention that he got married before saying he got divorced? i know it says it in the list but its easy to skip this. Also it shoudl be 'Although' not 'Though'.

"The official fansite can be found at greenday.net Other sites which are owned an run by fans include The Green Day Authority, and Green Day.com" This needs a fullstop before other.

Dont get disheartened, its a good article and these are all minor changes
smiley - cheers SI x

smiley - cheers


A7840659 - Green Day: A Rough Guide

Post 10

Brown Eyed Girl

Thanks for all the input guys, it's great that you're taking the time for this. I've corrected the faults and I found a few typos smiley - blush so Ive corrected those. Anything else to make it better?


A7840659 - Green Day: A Rough Guide

Post 11

DrMatt

Hi,

Good article. I also have a couple of niggles and things that you can work on, but I wouldn't make the effort if I didn't think the article was worth it!

-If Nimrod was released after Dookie and Dookie was released in 1994, then Nimrod can't have been released in 1992... I think it was probably 1998 or so, but you should check that.

-I think there needs to be more detail on each album. For instance, the major hits of Dookie are worth a mention ('When I Come Around', 'Basket Case', 'Longview' - the last is probably the most unlikely success story since it's about masturbation!).

-Judgements on album's relative merits are fine, but they should be stated a little more objectively - like 'the album was considered by many critics to be more powerful' rather than simply 'the album was more powerful'.

-Speaking of more powerful, I THINK I know what you mean by that (louder, heavier and better produced guitar sounds, better bottom end) but you should clarify that a little - American Idiot is more powerful lyrically, for instance, being largely about the current Bush administration.

All the basic info is there, but I reckon it just needs a little more expanding on their two major albums (Dookie and American Idiot) in particular. Good work!

Matt


A7840659 - Green Day: A Rough Guide

Post 12

Mr. Dreadful - But really I'm not actually your friend, but I am...

most well known song.>>

It may be worth putting in a footnote mentioning that a much rougher version of the song (at the time simply called 'Good Riddance') appeared as the b-side to the Brain Stew/Jaded single in around 1996.

<>

This isn't strictly true, while the aforementioned b-side was simply a solo performance from Billie Joe the version recorded for Nimrod had violins (an possibly other strings) in it!

Also the album titles (and possibly the song titles as well) should be italicised.


A7840659 - Green Day: A Rough Guide

Post 13

Mr. Dreadful - But really I'm not actually your friend, but I am...

The above post should have "<<it includes the song 'Good Riddance (Time Of Your Life)' which is probably Green Day's " as the first line.


A7840659 - Green Day: A Rough Guide

Post 14

Scruff79

Seems a bit short, just a list of albums they've done. American Idiot was a huge hit after a few duds, lets be honest. Needs more work I feel.


A7840659 - Green Day: A Rough Guide

Post 15

Brown Eyed Girl

OKay, I think I've got everything in there. If I've missed anything please tell me.


A7840659 - Green Day: A Rough Guide

Post 16

U168592

This is a nice Flea Market Rescue smiley - smiley Original Entry here: A1041427

Have you dropped the original author a line to let them know what you've done?

Because what you have done is looking mighty nice smiley - cheers

Have you mentioned the recent 'Live in UK' CD and DVD, I'm not sure I noticed it...

MJ smiley - ok


A7840659 - Green Day: A Rough Guide

Post 17

Elentari

OK - I'm not sure if ou've made all the changes already mentioned, so if you've already changed something, ignore my comments about it!

"curently made up of Billie Joe, who plays the guitar and does vocals,"

->

"currently made up of Billie Joe Armstrong, who plays the guitar and sings lead vocals,"


"forming a friendship that created the band called Sweet Children"

->

"forming a friendship and a band called Sweet Children"

When you mention that they changed their name to Green Day, I believe a footnote explaining the meaning of the name is in order - isn'tit something like a local term for drug use?

"Green Day followed up to Dookie with the single J.A.R. from the Angus sound track which reached number one and after that they released Insomniac in 1995."

->

"Green Day followed up the success of Dookie with the single J.A.R. from the Angus soundtrack, which reached number one. After this they released Insomniac in 1995."

You need to explain what Angus is, I've got no idea.

"consdiered" -> "considered"

"considered to be their best album." Cnsidered by whom?

"Released in 1997 it includes the song 'Good Riddance (Time Of Your Life)' which is probably Green Day's most well known song2"

->

"Released in 1997, it includes the song 'Good Riddance (Time Of Your Life)' which is probably Green Day's most well known song2"

I'm not sure what this footnote says, but I personally don't think it's their most well-known song anymore.

"Three years passed" - if you know, it wouldbe great if you could say what they did in the mean time. Just a break?

"American Idiot, the multi-platinum-selling 'best reviewed album of their career' was released,"

->

"American Idiot, the multi-platinum-selling 'best reviewed album of their career' was released," Why is that in speech marks? Is it a quote? If so, you should credit it.


"and topped the charts world-wide." I know what you're saying, but wouldn't it be better to say

"and topped the charts in many countries across the world". If you know how many countries it was number 1 in that would be great!

"Who Are They?" Generally, the eds don't like headers to be questions. Perhaps just call it "The Band"?


"He met Billie Joe at the age of ten, and ended up working with his mother at Rod's Hickory Pit." This is unclear, do you mean Billie's mother or Mike's mother?


"Lawrance Livermore" -> "Lawrence" surely?

"neighbor" -> "neighbour" (house style is British spellings).

"Want to find out more?" Again, can't have question marks in headers. How about "More Information"?

Anyway, great entry, these are all minor changes. The content is great! smiley - smiley Well done.

smiley - biggrin


A7840659 - Green Day: A Rough Guide

Post 18

Ormondroyd

smiley - applause A fine piece of work on a band who seem to be getting better and better with the passage of time. smiley - ok

As you've mentioned the Canadian Juno Award for 'American Idiot', you should probably also mention that the same album got Green Day a second Grammy award a decade after their first one, when they picked up the 2004 trophy for Best Rock Album: see http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/music/4262875.stm for the evidence and details of the other categories in which they were nominated.

Oh, and one more spelling nitpick: it's 'acoustic', not 'accoustic'.


A7840659 - Green Day: A Rough Guide

Post 19

Mr. Dreadful - But really I'm not actually your friend, but I am...

Another thing: there doesn't need to be a / between punk and rock as the 'punk rock' is a genuine genre name.


A7840659 - Green Day: A Rough Guide

Post 20

Mr. Dreadful - But really I'm not actually your friend, but I am...

One more (although this is more of a pedantic nit-pick than a suggestion!): "a blue Stratocaster that he plays to this day" - a surf green Stratocaster copy that he plays to this day.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more