World Cup Diary: The Final

1 Conversation

Football star in sunglasses

WORLD CUP FINAL (Sunday 30th June 2002, Yokohana, Japan)

Germany 0 Brazil 2 (Ronaldo 67, 79)

GERMANY TEAM:

  • 1 Oliver Kahn
  • 2 Thomas Linke
  • 5 Carsten Ramelow
  • 7 Oliver Neuville
  • 8 Dietmar Hamann
  • 11 Miroslav Klose (SUBSTITUTE 20 Oliver Bierhoff, 73 minutes)
  • 16 Jens Jeremies (SUBSTITUTE 14 Gerald Asamoah, 77 minutes)
  • 17 Marco Bode (SUBSTITUTE 6 Christian Ziege, 83 minutes)
  • 19 Bernd Schneider
  • 21 Christoph Metzelder
  • 22 Thorsten Frings

BRAZIL TEAM:

  • 1 Marcos
  • 2 Cafu
  • 3 Lucio
  • 4 Roque Junior
  • 5 Edmilson
  • 6 Roberto Carlos
  • 8 Gilberto Silva
  • 9 Ronaldo (SUBSTITUTE 17 Denilson, 89 minutes)
  • 10 Rivaldo
  • 11 Ronaldinho (SUBSTITUTE 19 Juninho, 84 minutes)
  • 15 Kleberson

REFEREE: Pierluigi Collina (Italy)

This World Cup threw up many surprises- The United States into the Quarter Finals, Turkey-South Korea in the Third Place play-off. France lost to Senegal and went out without scoring a goal. Argentina lost to England and failed to get past the group stage. Portugal crashed in the groups, Italy went down against Korea, Ireland lost a second round game against Spain on penalties despite sending their captain home before the tournament started. Nothing was predictable.

BUT THERE'S ALWAYS BRAZIL.

Last year, Brazil lost to Honduras in the Copa America. On Sunday they won the World Cup a record fifth time. And who did they beat? Germany. A World Cup of surprises, and we get a Germany-Brazil final. Turns out it's the only time the two have played each other in the World Cup.

According to the British press this is the worst German side in history. I'd hate to see them when they get good again.

In the end, Germany missed their star midfielder Michael Ballack. However, this didn't stop them creating plenty of chances which caused Brazilian keeper Marcos to make some good saves. At times Brazil's defenders could actually be spotted in their own half of the field. Early bookings for Brazilian centre-back Roque Junior and German striker Miroslav Klose were the only times Pierluigi Collina had to reach into his pocket as the final proved to be one of the cleaner games of the World Cup. In the first half, there were many chances created by both sides as Rivaldo, Ronaldo, Klose, Neuville and others caused havoc for Marcos and Oliver Kahn. The exciting nature of the match was helped by the fact that Brazil captain and right-back Cafu continued to neglect his defensive duties, playing more as a winger. Left-back Roberto Carlos proved to be more defensively minded, rare for him. Despite the open nature of the match, it was goalless at half-time.

In the second half, Brazil continued to demonstrate their traditional flair, while the Germans continued to fight them off with ruthless technical efficiency. That efficiency abandoned Liverpool midfielder Dietmar Hamann in the 67th minute. Hamann held onto the ball too long, allowing Ronaldo to take it from him and set Rivaldo off on a run. Rivaldo let rip with a cracking drive, which was fumbled by goalkeeper Kahn, ending at the feet of Ronaldo, who made no mistake in dispatching the ball into the back of the net.

Germany countered by replacing midfielder Jens Jeremies with forward Gerald Asamoah, and bringing veteran striker Oliver Bierhoff on in place of Miroslav Klose, who never managed to recapture the form he showed in scoring five headed goals in the group stage. These substitutions had little effect however, and the Germans were pretty much dead and buried minutes later, thanks to a moment of inspiration from Ronaldo. Kleberson played the ball to the striker who effortlessly shrugged off the German defenders surrounding him before unleashing an unstoppable right-footed drive past Kahn to clinch the World Cup, and the golden boot for himself.

Brazil are World Champions again. Ronaldo has buried the terrible memories of the 1998 final, and has scored 12 goals in World Cup finals, the same number as Pele, and fewer only than Gerd Muller and Just Fontaine. And don't forget, Ronaldo's only 25.

WORLD CUP ROLL OF HONOUR:

  • WINNERS: BRAZIL
  • RUNNERS-UP: Germany
  • THIRD PLACE: Turkey
  • FOURTH PLACE: South Korea
  • BEATEN QUARTER-FINALISTS: England, Senegal, Spain, United States
  • BEATEN IN THE SECOND ROUND: Belgium, Denmark, Italy, Japan, Mexico, Paraguay, Republic of Ireland, Sweden
  • OUT IN THE GROUP STAGE: Argentina, Cameroon, China, Costa Rica, Croatia, Ecuador, France, Nigeria, Poland, Portugal, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Slovenia, South Africa, Tunisia, Uruguay

GOLDEN BOOT:

RONALDO, 8 goals (RIVALDO and MIROSLAV KLOSE 5 each)

GOLDEN BALL (most valuable player):

Oliver Kahn (Germany)

FIFA ALL-STAR TEAM:

  • Goalkeepers- Oliver Kahn (Germany) Rustu Recber (Turkey)
  • Defenders- Roberto Carlos (Brazil), Sol Campbell (England), Hong Myung-Bo (S Korea), Alpay Oazalon (Turkey), Fernando Hierro (Spain)
  • Midfielders- Rivaldo (Brazil), Ronaldinho (Brazil), Claudio Reyna (United States), Michael Ballack (Germany), Yoo Sang-Chul (S Korea)
  • Forwards- Ronaldo (Brazil), Hasan Sas (Turkey), Miroslav Klose (Germany)

THE WORLD CUP IS OVER. WE'VE GOT TO WAIT FOUR YEARS FOR THE NEXT ONE.

h2g2 World Cup Links


Egon

04.07.02 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A779321

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more