Talking Point: Are we living in a 'Big Brother' state?

20 Conversations

It is a situation George Orwell would recognise only too well. Over the last 30 years, the level of state observance of our everyday lives has increased. While we are not quite at the stage of the society chillingly depicted in 1984, are we really that far off? Recently the UK Home Secretary, David Blunkett, was forced to abandon an extension of the powers contained within the Reglation of the Investigative Powers Act. This would have allowed organisations not connected with law enforcement access to UK citizen's phone, email and fax records. The measures were put on hold indefinitely after an orchestrated campaign by members of the public, who deluged MPs with faxes complaining about the measures.

With CCTV in our towns and cities and increased monitoring of our phonecalls and faxes, do you ever get the feeling that 'Big Brother' is watching you?

  • Are we living in a 'Big Brother' state or is this just paranoia?
  • Should law enforcement agencies have the right to prowl through your records?
  • What about organisations not connected with law enforcement?
  • What circumstances make the release of your records to organisations acceptable?
  • Should the release of phone and internet records be regulated and if so who should do it?
  • Is CCTV an effective weapon against crime or a system open to abuse?
  • Is the society depicted in George Orwell's 1984 or the recent film Enemy of the State inevitable?
  • Will you be voting to evict Jade this week?
Why Orwell still mattersBlunkett backs downGovernment advice on snoopingSurveillance CommissionersLibertyFaxYourMP.comA568721

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A765966

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more