A Conversation for Notes from Around the Sundial: Pac-Man and the Universe

Search Engine Google

Post 1

Recumbentman

Why 'Search Engine'? Is there another Google? Or are you writing for aliens who might not know what Google is?


Search Engine Google

Post 2

Gnomon - time to move on

Google make lots of stuff including Mail, Maps, Calendar and so on. And there are lots of other search engines. I generally use either Bing or Google.

I suppose I could have said "Google featured a version of Pacman on their search engine" but I think what I said was just as clear.


Search Engine Google

Post 3

Recumbentman

It just looks a little pedantic; since you give a link, Google would have been sufficient; and the search engine is the primary image of Google, what everyone knows it for.

I made the mistake of mentioning 'the Atlantic hurricane' when writing up a cycling trip of August 2005, thinking the name Katrina would be forgotten. Just looks stupid now.


Search Engine Google

Post 4

Gnomon - time to move on

Yes, you're right - thanks. But I have no way of changing it now, other than requesting the h2g2 Post Editors to change it, and I don't think it warrants that.


Search Engine Google

Post 5

aka Bel - A87832164

I'd be happy to change it, but I think it doesn't need changing. I'm one who hardly ever clicks on links, and although most people now think of the search engine first when hearing google, this may change in a few years to come, so personally, I think it is fine. smiley - smiley


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Notes from Around the Sundial: Pac-Man and the Universe

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more