A Conversation for CS Lewis

A763201 - CS Lewis

Post 21

Gnomon - time to move on

Scouts, please don't pick this until I have added a discussion of racism. I'm half way through re-reading the fifth book, so I should be finished them by Friday. I'll put in a comment about racism and let you know when it's ready.


A763201 - CS Lewis

Post 22

Gnomon - time to move on

I've now added a section "Criticism of the Narnia books" which discusses the claims of racism etc. What do you all think? Is it OK? Too long-winded?


A763201 - CS Lewis

Post 23

Demon Drawer

Looks ok and I'm not trying to excuse him in anyway, but some of the fews hled by Lewis especially against the porgressive ideals and his Christianity though dated today were widely held at the time. People even until the 60s and 70s still felt that vegetarianism and the lack or corporal punishment were insane if not worng. His audience was not necessarily a 21st century audience but an early-mid 20th century one. So while attitutes have changed the books have been set in stone against the background of their times.

Maybe a summing up of this in one or two line at the end of that section or something.


A763201 - CS Lewis

Post 24

Zarquon's Singing Fish!

OK? Yes. Too long winded. No. Looks just fine to me!smiley - smiley

smiley - fishsmiley - musicalnote


A763201 - CS Lewis

Post 25

Kerr_Avon - hunting stray apostrophes and gutting poorly parsed sentences

Could be worth adding a brief sentence in Lewis's defence as to 'growing up'- Peter grew up too, and remained a 'friend of Narnia'- in other words, Susan was not a rally against growing up- rather against growing up and putting things like faith to one side in the 'childish' box. It's a while since I read the books, but I seem to remember that Susan was redeemed- she showed up at the end of the Last Battle, when the real Narnia/England (Heaven) etc was revealed?

Anyway, just a sentence showing the other side, nothing long?

smiley - ale


A763201 - CS Lewis

Post 26

Gnomon - time to move on

I'm afraid not ... there was no sign of Susan at the end of the Last Battle. While the rest of them went on to Aslan's Land, she stayed behind in England.

Demon Drawer, I'll put something of what you are saying in as a line or two.


A763201 - CS Lewis

Post 27

Gnomon - time to move on

I've added a sentence about Lewis's attitudes to vegetarianism etc being common at the time. I've added a couple of sentences expanding on the Susan growing up issue. ALthough I haven't said it here, this was the number one reason that Philip Pullman hates the Narnia books.

I now consider this entry to be complete and ready (again) for a scout to pick it.


A763201 - CS Lewis

Post 28

Kerr_Avon - hunting stray apostrophes and gutting poorly parsed sentences

Okay, must just me my memory smiley - smiley But still, you see what I mean about 'growing up' in different ways.


A763201 - CS Lewis

Post 29

Kerr_Avon - hunting stray apostrophes and gutting poorly parsed sentences

Having read the additions to the enrty (as I should have done in the first place, please excuse me, I've been drinking *heavily*) I approve (not that my approval means anything) of the way you've added the 'growing up' bit smiley - ok

smiley - ale


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 30

h2g2 auto-messages

Your Guide Entry has just been picked from Peer Review by one of our Scouts, and is now heading off into the Editorial Process, which ends with publication in the Edited Guide. We've therefore moved this Review Conversation out of Peer Review and to the entry itself.

If you'd like to know what happens now, check out the page on 'What Happens after your Entry has been Recommended?' at EditedGuide-Process. We hope this explains everything.

Thanks for contributing to the Edited Guide!


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 31

Gnomon - time to move on

Thank you!


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 32

Mina

Congrats Gnomon. smiley - bubbly


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 33

Gnomon - time to move on

and congrats to Demon Drawer too. smiley - bubbly


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 34

Mina

smiley - doh

My apologies, that'll teach me to post when I'm doing half a dozen things at once.

Congrats to DD as well, and a smiley - hug for my error. smiley - bubbly


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 35

Demon Drawer

Cheers Mina, especially as I can get on here today. smiley - smiley


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 36

the autist formerly known as flinch

Too late i guess to include anything on "A Grief Observed". Which along with The Problem of Pain" is one of my favorates.

His early diaries are really interesting too. He had a very passionate affair with a much older (possibly even married) woman. Shows an entirely different side to him.

Shadowlands incidentally, was origonally a play, and no-one should ever, ever have to read the novel of the movie.


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 37

the autist formerly known as flinch

One of my chums suggests that it was personal guilt over his youthful adultery which led Lewis to hate mature women, and to encourage women to remain childlike and not attempt to run in the world of men.

I'm not entirely sure that's right as i've never read a biography, but it's an interesting theory.


Key: Complain about this post