Swords of Power - The Tolkien Collection

2 Conversations

Glamdring


Two swords

An ancient sword carried by Gandalf the Grey, who is an old, but powerful wizard and friend to Frodo Baggins. Glamdring also known as "Foe-Hammer", is a magical sword which has the ability to glow in the dark in the presence (or near presence) of an enemy.

Glamdring is of great antiquity and was made by ancient Noldorin Elves in the First Age. It is inscribed with Elvish runes. Glamdring was made in the Hidden City of Gondolin and became the sword of the Elven King, Turgon. Glamdring's edges would glow with white, pale light when orcs were near. Turgon wielded it valiantly, but when Gondolin fell, it was lost for over 6,000 years.

Gandalf eventually found the sword in the troll hoard during the trip to Erebor with the Dwarves and Bilbo. He held it when he faced the Balrog in Moria and later in the battles against Saruman and Sauron. Glamdring probably left Middle-Earth with Gandalf when he left the Grey Havens at the end of the Third Age.

Orcrist


Two swords

Also known as "Orc-cleaver" Orcrist was similar to Glamdring in several ways. Both had jeweled hilts, both glowed cold white when enemies were near, and both were completely loathed by Orcs and Trolls. Both were full fledged swords with long blades. It too was forged in Gondolin. Orcrist was recovered in the Third Age by the Dwarf King Sword of Thorin Oakenshield. Orcrist was buried with Thorin deep beneath the Lonely Mountain.

Sting


Two swords

A magical sword made by Elves in the ancient days, given to Frodo Baggins by his cousin Bilbo. Sting sustained him on his harrowing journey and like other Elven blades it glows when in the presence of evil. Engraved on the blade and cross guard are runes in the Elven language of Sindarin that say "Maegnas is my name, I am the spider's bane." Sting was sword finally was "retired" in a museum in Michel Delving at the end of the Third Age.

The Witch-King of Angmar's Sword


Two swords

This evil and ancient sword was wielded by the Witchking, leader of the nine Ringwraiths, the indestructible and relentless shadow servants of Sauron. They were once mortal kings of men that Sauron corrupted with his Ring of Power. The Witchking's sword was built by armourers of the dark land of Mordor, under the command of their evil master Sauron.

Not one for the faint-hearted

Anduril


Two swords

Anduril is the sword borne by Aragorn of the House of Isildur. Originally known as Narsil (Fire-Light) it is of ancient lineage. Narsil belonged to Elendil the Elf Friend and was broken beneath him in The Last Alliance of Elves and Men when he faced Sauron with Gil-galad at his side. Narsil was shattered on Elendil's death but his eldest son Isildur cut the One-Ring from Sauron's hand with a shard of his father's sword. Narsil was forged by Telchar, one of the greatest Dwarven smiths in all of Middle Earth, in the First Age.

The sword itself, besides being a very fine weapon and heirloom of the House of Elendil, seems to have had some subtle magical qualities for it shone with the light of the sun and of the moon and blinded it's enemies and filled it's foes with fear. Reforged in Rivendell from the shards of Narsil, Anduril was worn by Aragorn at the final defeat of Sauron.

Anglachel


Two swords

Also known as "Iron of the Flaming Star", Anglachel was a semi-sentient black sword that was forged from iron that fell from heaven. It was therefore highly valued for it's rarity. Anglachel held a razor's edge like no other blade but there was malice in the sword and it did not love the hand it served. It later became the possession of the hero Turin who had the sword reforged renaming it Gurthang, which means "Iron of Death".

Ringil


Two swords

Ringil was the sword of the High-elven King Fingolfin and is said to have glittered like ice. Fingolfin used this sword against Morgoth and wounded the Dark Lord seven times in their single combat with this blade. A mighty feat of arms.

The Carnelian Knight has a great sentimental attachment to this particular sword and is very choosy as to who he lets it out to.

Gúthwinë


Two swords

The sword of Éomer which was wielded alongside Aragorn with Andúril at the Battle of the Hornburg, which momentarily changed the course of the battle. The two swords met again at the Battle of the Pelennor Fields, where they cut a course through the whole hosts of Sauron.

Herugrim


Two swords

Herugrim was Théoden 's sword. It was a longsword and was carried by a scabbard of gold and green gems. Herugrim was wielded at the Battle of the Pelennor Fields, where Theoden fell.

Return to the Carnelian Knight's page.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A762365

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more