The Ruined Indian Village

6 Conversations

On the far side of the Ranch is the ruins of an ancient pueblo style village. It nestles close under the overhanging cliff of the canyon walls and is made of stone platforms, mud brick homes and adobe walls.

To view Maps and Photo's of the Layout click the link below

Rolling Rock Ranch Layout.

The Village

The village formerly housed 200-300 Indians grouped into large extended families. At some time in the past they were driven away from the village for (as yet) unknown reasons.

Some say that pestilence, famine, drought, invading bands of Navajo and Apache tribes or over-population were contributory factors to the exodus. Locals living in Peta Gulch however remember an old tale which hints at green demons that came from the caves to drive the Indians away for good.

The village is composed of a series of grand terraces and access from terrace to terrace is effected by means of large wooden ladders. the buildings have thick flat roofs and the roof of one level is reached by a movable ladder from the level below. Access to the interiors is by ladders from trapdoors set in the roofs. The outer walls have neither windows nor doors as a precaution against attackers.

The village also has several communal areas for drying grain, basket weaving and the making of bread.

There many undergound pits lined with stone slabs located at various points in the village. They were used to store pumpkins, corn, wild edible plants and nuts for the winter months. The pits ar enot well marked and are a danger for the unwary. There are also storehouses for agricultural implements on the lower terraces.

There are several homes still intact along with communal areas

Many of the buildings are connected by corridors and shafts making it into a maze for the geographically challenged.

The Church of the One True Celery

On an upper terrace is a large temple-like building - a solid structure of dressed stone in the classical style.

Zeb

Zeb is a harmless old prospector who lives quietly in the village and knows his way around all the nooks and crannies. He has been exploring the cave system underneath the cliffs for many years and is the only one that really knows his way around them.

The Cave System

The Cave system can only be accessed by Zeb and anyone wanting access to it must either be with Zeb or following him to see the way.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A760105

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more