A Conversation for Sciences and Technologies

Weaponry

Post 1

Wargamer (The Wanderer)

Some Weaponry info for you:
BARRAGE CANNON: The Barrage Cannon is, without doubt, the most primative weapon used by any Federal Craft. In essence, it is a giant Minigun, firing 7.5 Calibre 'Slugs' at the target. The Barrage Cannon has ramained in service, however, as very few modern shields are designed to counteract KBA (Kinetic Bullet Ammunition) weaponry. However, some forms of shielding, such as Polarised Armour, have been known to deflect, or even desintegrate, the bullets on contact. The Rapier is the only known currently serving craft to use this armament, though the Corvette carries a smaller version known as the Autocannon, which uses explosive bolts.
PULSE LASERS: Pulse Lasers, like normal Lasers, use energy to cause extreme thermal damage to the target. The Pulse Laser, however, traps the energy in thermo-magnetic buffers until the trigger is pressed. This fires sperical balls of energy, rather than the thin beams normally associated with Lasers, which impact with more force and more surface area, resulting in more damage. Pulse Lasers come in three sizes; Small, Medium and Large. The larger the Laser, the more range and power the weapon has.
PLASMA CANNONS: The Plasma Cannon works in a simmilar way to a star; by forming massive amounts of heat energy at the point of reaction. The weapon is powered by a small Plasma reactor (which can be the ships main reactor), which converts the Hydrogen into a plasma state. This is then fired as a plasma 'bolt', which reacts with the heat of a small sun on contact with the target. Shields are badly damaged by this weapon, and armour is almost useless. The Demon is the only Federal Fighter to possess this type of armament.
MOTION MISSILES: Simple Motion-Tracking Missiles, the Motion Missile can track any moving object, and unlike heat-seeking missiles, is not confused by Cold-Drifting (A maneuver where the pilot cuts the ship's engines and 'drifts' out the missile's trajectory). However, flares can still prove effective against this weapon.
PLASMA TORPEDO: The Plasma Torpedo carries a 125lb Plasma Reactor and 750lb of Hydrogen. The reactor converts the Hydrogen into a plasma state, which is stored in the nose of the warhead. The reactor cannot convert all of the hydrogen to plasma due to a lack of space, and so will detonate after a set period of time due to Reactor Overload, but if a target is hit, the damage is catastrophic. Fleet-sized craft upto 'Frigate' Class have been destroyed by just one of these almighty weapons.


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Sciences and Technologies

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more