A Conversation for Your Local Area

Camden tube

Post 61

michael salkeld

I voted for ken livingston last time because I felt sorry for him, for the way the G L C was abolished (Big mistake )he's basically sold out to big business ,and property developers .Its not just camden tube station ,there's potters fields,by tower bridge south kensington,tube station ,spital fields market ,The Tate Modern god knows what he'll do to the south bank .basically where ever there is a huge construction project being apposed by ordinary Londoners ,and local residents ,ken livingston is without exception always on the side of the property developer .He sees every think only in terms of efficacy and economics .like a gray accountant or civil servant. .London the world center of culture requires a mayor with creative flair and imagination.


Camden tube

Post 62

michael salkeld

the above should have said (everything only in terms of efficiency and economics)


Camden tube

Post 63

camdonia

I would not attribute flair or imagination to Ken Livingstone. When I was younger I admired him for sticking to his socialist doctrines in the face of New Labour policy and even felt rather sad at his expulsion from the party. Now of course it appears that the interests of corporate London far outweigh those of the ordinary man and woman in local communities. *sigh*


Camden tube

Post 64

camdonia

You mean, he wants to mark his territory before he retires and ends his days taking care of his newts


Camden tube

Post 65

michael salkeld

Having unfortunately been approved by Ken livingston the next stage is the public inquiry called by the government ,there is a lot of information on how to submit your views to the inquiry on the camden lock website ,
I've never written to a public inquiry before but I suppose now is the time to start I just cant sit back and which these things happen anymore.


Camden tube

Post 66

camdonia

I grew up in Camden Town and I would like to also submit my opposition to the redevelopment. However, I'm now living in the USA. What do i have to do?


Camden tube

Post 67

michael salkeld

If you go to the camden lock web site www.camdenlock.co.uk/kic.htm


or the camden lock objecting link www.camdenlock.co.uk/objecting.htm


It gives you all the information you need it says any one living abroad is entitled to submit an objection, and to think I was worried that muswell hill might be to far away,
There is quite a bit of information there, but you can e mail your objections in or even send then to the camden lock web site to have them check what you say first.In my case that will be a good idea because my spelling is so bad.



Camden tube

Post 68

michael salkeld

thats

http://www.camdenlock.co.uk/kic.htm
or

http://www.camdenlock.co.uk/objecting.htm


Camden tube

Post 69

camdonia

Hehehe! Hey, thanks for the links. Looks like I have my work cut out for me trying to lodge my objections from way out here in the Arizona desert but Camden is where my heart. I will do what I can to help preserve it.


Camden tube

Post 70

michael salkeld

It looks pretty daunting but Im wondering if a simple letter of objection will do I think one of the most important points to make in relation to the development is that it is supposed to be a conservation area.and the station could be enlarged without trashing the whole block.


Camden tube

Post 71

camdonia

Agreed! I hope people are not put off but what seems like and endless stream of red tape, hoops to jump through, hurdles to jump over. I think I'll start with a letter and up the ante if I don't get the response I'm looking for.


Camden tube

Post 72

michael salkeld

This link sounds like a good idea

Emailing everyone at the same time:

http://www.camdenlock.co.uk/objecting2all.htm

I've just sent my letter to the save camden campaign campaign office so they can check it. If they don't get back to me I'll just send it anyway
This is what I sent.
.
Dear Sir
I would like to object to London Underground's applications for Planning permission, Conservation Area Consent and powers under the Transport and Works Act, to build a commercial development on the block surrounding Camden Town underground station.
As it is the character of the area and market that is attracting people to the area in the first place,it would make sense to preserve the character of the market and conservation area in the planned enlargement of the station.I feel strongly that the proposals would neither preserve or enhance the Conservation Area,and as such represent the flagrant abuse ,and exploitation of one of London's most vibrant areas ,and markets.

There are other options

I remember in the 1980s they made some platforms at Euston and embankment wider by literally carving out the sides of the tunnels to make more space ( the platform widths were doubled and all the tunnels were repaneled ,all this was done while the station was open, this could be done at camden.

At Liverpool St. most of the Victorian railway shed was demolished during the redevelopment ,then put back upon completion .with the reinstatement of the original features .Im not saying that is what should happen at camden ,but I am saying that there are lots of options .to argue that there is no option apart from the planned redevelopment is ludicrous.and an insult to the intelligence of the people of London.



Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more