A Conversation for Your Local Area

Camden

Post 21

Frankie Roberto

No, she didn't quite drag me in there with her... smiley - smiley

I must admit, there was some very... intriguing stuff in there!


Camden

Post 22

Mina

It was enlarged a short while back, but one half of it seems to be full of flaming t shirts and tartan trousers. smiley - yuk


Camden

Post 23

Frankie Roberto

There were a lot of flaming shirts when I went. We went into a lot of very strange shops that day. I remember seeing a LOT of handcuffs and stalls selling poppers... smiley - smiley


Camden

Post 24

Mina

Oh yes, I notice those too. I don't buy any though, all the stalls look too dodgy.
There's a stall there that makes the best smoothies I've ever had, fresh! But not cheap, nearly a fiver each if I remember rightly.


Camden

Post 25

Frankie Roberto

P&J's are a good make of smoothies that are available in shops (the original in fact). They're usually quite fresh. But the best things to do is do it yourself, if you've got a juicer, it's fantastic! A bit messy, but makes lovely drinks. Adding a bit of root ginger gives it a good kick.


Camden

Post 26

Mina

I don't think I've got room in my kitchen. smiley - sadface


Camden

Post 27

Frankie Roberto

Yeah, that's a problem I guess.


Camden

Post 28

sthwba

i want a t-shirt from cyberdog with flashing lights!


Camden

Post 29

Mina

So does my other half.


Camden

Post 30

MatthewL

I hadn't realised Camden was still such a happening place: I thought the 80s were its heyday! What's the market like at the moment?


Camden

Post 31

sthwba

market can turn into a standstill come mid afternoon on the weekend. but still a great place in turns of atmosphere and cool buys. food is great if you're snacking, plus enough stuff just to wander around and gawp at if you're saving pennies! great retro clothing and plenty of cheap book stalls. and you're just around the corner from some great bars. market wise a far better choice than notting hill.


Camden

Post 32

CatherineC

The Lock is far better than the Camden Market near the tube. There's some nice designs there and the clothes are decent quality and reasonably priced. You're never stuck for gifts - there's lots of quirky unsual finds so even if you're given the unfortunate task of buying a present for someone really fussy there's bound to be something here...the framed art-prints (warhol, Lichtenstein etc) are a bit pricey but worth investigation..


Camden

Post 33

Mina

The canal market is quite good, with a fancy dress stall there, and various other stalls that you'd find in other markets.

I like the lock as well, but my absolute favourite is the stables market. Vintage clothing, designer gear, clubwear, alternative wear, if it's not sold here, it's not sold anywhere!


Camden

Post 34

Frankie Roberto

Looks like I'm gonna be living in Camden for the next year... smiley - ok


Camden

Post 35

Mina

Hurrah! I'll have somewhere to crash after staggering out of the Electric Ballroom. smiley - winkeye


Camden

Post 36

Dharmesh

Aaaahhh no truer words have been said. Mondays at Bar Gansa listening to Flamenco. Sunday collecing my copy of Lone wolf and cub and having breakfast at the dodgy cafe or if I have the cash at Bar Solo.

A pint in Bar vinyl followed by a walk round the corner for a session at the Mecca Bingo. What more could you want.

Definitely my favourite street in london.

Good call


Camden

Post 37

Frankie Roberto

Hi Dhamesh, Mina. Just found this old thread.

Living in Camden is great, though it's a bit suprising just how many drug dealers there are around at the moment. I love just being able to walk down into the market on Sundays.

Haven't really been to any of the clubs yet but I'm sure we'll get round to visting them soon!


Camden

Post 38

Frankie Roberto

Thought I might revive this thread, now that I'm living here.

Camden is great, and some of the bars I'd recommend are:

The World's End - expensive but a bit classy
Dublin Castle - go there for the late license, not the bands
Underworld - reasonable club on fridays.
Hog's Head - nicely decked out pub.
Halfway House - not the same since they've cleaned the windows (you can see through them now).
Father Ted's - psuedo Irish pub. Awful place but with cheap drinks and football on telly.


Camden

Post 39

NexusSeven

The World's End - classy?! smiley - bigeyessmiley - winkeye

Have you tried the Camden Tup? It's hidden down a back street next to the World's End and isn't bad - a (little) bit off the beaten track...


Camden

Post 40

Frankie Roberto

Yeah, I think the World's End is okay. I like the upstairs bit. And the Hoeggarden...

Your place sounds interesting. I'll have to give it a try.

Another place I like, which I didn't mention, is the Hawley Arms, which is a nice little place tucked away near the railway bridge on the road of the same name. Last time I went they had a log fire...


Key: Complain about this post