Talking Point: Children and Healthy Eating

8 Conversations

A child bored by an apple

Health experts have called the lifestyles of today's children as a 'time bomb of ill health'. Sedentary lifestyles and high fat diets are increasingly leading to the early onset of diabetes and heart disease. Yet research shows that most children are aware of the basic guidelines for a healthy diet, so who is to blame? Is it the fault of parents, schools or the government? Can we excuse the manufacturers who say that they are merely responding to the demands of the market?

Some children are naturally fussy. David Tarr from Hillingdon, Middlesex ate nothing but jam sandwiches between the ages of 3 and 6. He is now a perfectly healthy fitness instructor. So does it matter what should we feed our children? Tell us your thoughts.

  • Should children be allowed to eat what they like?
  • Why does healthy food equate with boring food?
  • Do parents need educating about feeding their children responsibly?
  • Are food manufactures at fault in the way they make and market their products?
  • How can convenience food be made healthier? Is it a question of legislation?
  • Where do the responsibilities of parents end and those of the government begin?
  • Are toys and free gifts the only way to encourage children to eat heathily?
  • Or does this encourage children to expect to be rewarded for even the most basic tasks?
  • Were your school meals healthy or did you have chips with everything?
  • Were you a fussy eater as a child? What did you insist on eating?

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A730324

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Edited by

h2g2 Editors

References

h2g2 Entries

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more