A Conversation for Talking Point: Children and Healthy Eating

Picky Eating

Post 1

Flying Betty- Now with added nickname tag!

I was an extremely picky eater as a child. (and still am, unfortunately) After a few years of trying to get me to eat things, my parents eventually gave up because anything I don't like is usually because the taste practically makes me sick, and I will choose to go hungry rather than eat it. I was never, however, the sort of picky eater who would only eat one specific food.

For me, the regulations on what I was allowed to eat became much less strict as I got older, and was more able to take care of myself. Things like soda and cookies were distinct treats that had to be requested, or given out at special occasions instead of being staples of my diet. Meals wereusually cooked at home, and tended to include all of the basic food groups. We also never had sugary cereals, just ones with actual nutritional value. Now, I'm allowed to help myself to snacks and soda, but we still only ever have nonsugary cereal for breakfast, and I automatically reach for a glass of milk with a meal.

I think fast food has been the major downfall of Americans' healthy weight. One time I was at Wendy's and the people in front of me had a girl who looked to be 8 or 9 years old, and quite rotund, order a biggie sized value meal, which is more calories than anyone except highly athletic people or teenage boys in the middle of a growth spurt really needs at one sitting, or even in an entire day. It is possible for fast food to be healthy and enjoyable in moderation, but not too frequently and not too much of it. A kids' meal is still enough food for me, and has the advantage of coming with the cool toy, a distressingly effective marketing ploy.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more