A Conversation for Sweden

Coffee

Post 1

Sebastian

Is any discussion of the nataure of Sweden truly complete without mentioning coffee? As I understand it, the Swedes are the highest per capita consumers of coffee in the world...


Coffee

Post 2

Jules

That just might be true... I drink a lot for sure.


Coffee

Post 3

MisterBealy

So, is Swedish coffee up there with Seattle where coffee also doesn't grow? Anyway, I'm going to a conference in Goteborg in July so I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for things to do / see / visit / bring back with me / don't go near / take photos of / etc / etc / etc.


Things to do in Göteborg

Post 4

Jules

Depends on what kind of person you are (of course). If you want to hang out on the evenings the biggest street is the one that is simply called "the Avenue". It's nice on summer nights. If you like rollercoasters and that sort of thing I strongly recommend "Liseberg" which is the biggest amusementpark in northern Europe.

If you like theater or music and so on, try the opera or one of the theaters. The Göteborg symfonical orchestra is also one of the better in the world.

Movies should be caught on "Biopalatset" (meaning "the movie palace"). It's the best in town. Room six preferred. If you like Jazz
you just have to visit "Nefertiti", which is probably the best club in sweden.

A tip is to just ask someone in the street where the best food is etc.
The people there are nice and will help you.


Things to do in Göteborg

Post 5

MisterBealy

I'm gonna have to extend my stay - I want to do all those things! Sounds like a happening place.


Coffee

Post 6

The Duke of Dunstable

You know, I believe I once read somewhere that Finland beats us by a nose-length when it comes to
consuming coffee. They beat us for sure as far as vodka-drinking (and sticking their knifes in other peoples
bellys), but we tend to inhale more beer and whisky and wine.


You're supposed to drink it

Post 7

MisterBealy

Inhaling beer and whisky and wine? This is very dangerous, please get everyone to stop before they drown!


You're supposed to drink it

Post 8

Jules

You would be surprised if you knew what people do to get drunk in sweden...

Here is how you make a proper "Kaffekask". Put a piece of sugar in a coffecup. Pour over coffe till you can't se the sugar any more. Fill upp with "hembränt" until visible again. Then again coffe, then again "hembränt", and so on untill the cup is full. Enjoy!


Coffee

Post 9

Researcher Magnus

I think Swedes show up in the statistics because we like our coffee strong (roughly a French cafe express) and normally black. Also, we don't use the rediculous little central European thimbles but pour our black gold into large mugs in the same quantities as, say, the Americans, who pride themselves not only on consuming humongous quantities of java but more surprisingly on having a great coffee culture. Quite frankly, the average American cup holds a very weak brew. smiley - smiley

So what I'm trying to say in this roundabout fashion is that Sweden probably uses more coffee beans per capita than any other country.

Cheerio
Magnus


You're supposed to drink it

Post 10

Researcher Magnus

Use REALLY strong coffee for maximum enjoyment... smiley - winkeye


Coffee

Post 11

Tzench

Sweden is, actually, third. Finland is first and Switzerland is second.


Coffee

Post 12

Jules

Says who?


Coffee

Post 13

Stef

OK, so someone please explain to me, how come I can drink it THAT often? Btw, I live in Sofia ... smiley - fish


Coffee

Post 14

Jules

Find a café where the coffe is cheap and you like the toilets. Go there often, you will have to work on it. pretty soon, you will ask how to drink less.


Coffee

Post 15

Stef

Thanx for the advise, kind sir.
It would be boring if I say "ok, I worked hard on this matter for the last 6 weeks, now please tell me the secret of drinking less", so better change the subject. No, not the weather! How about some wine?


Key: Complain about this post