A Conversation for Chuck Jones-Animator and Director

Jones - or Maltese?

Post 1

Reveasy

As an alumnus of Saturday morning classes at Warner Brothers Polytechnic, I must take issue with all of the attention lavished on Mr Chuck Jones. I started watching Warner Brothers cartoons in the early 1960s and began paying attention to the credits in the 1980s, the actual works themselves having lost none of their appeal.

Has no one else noticed that, while all of Mike Maltese's works are funny - not all of Chuck Jones' are? Mike wrote cartoons directed by other Warner Brothers directors, and all are hilarious. Chuck Jones, on the other hand, has directed cartoons written by writers other than the estimable Mr Maltese - and most are at best childish, some are condescending, and very, very few are funny. Those Mr Jones wrote himself - well, let us leave those undiscussed. He was a fine director.

If the adulation heaped upon Mr Jones is the only way Mr Maltese can escape oblivion, then I suppose it can be endured - but a great comic genius has been lost in Michael Maltese, and I hate the idea that he would be lost unsung.


Key: Complain about this post

Jones - or Maltese?

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more