A Conversation for French Revolutionaries - Danton

Writing Workshop: A689565 - French Revolutionaries - Danton

Post 1

Spiff

Entry: French Revolutionaries - Danton - A689565
Author: Spaceman Spiff (MP) - U185155


After 2 weeks without attracting any kind of comment, I've slightly changed the title in a bid to make it more enticing. Any takers?

seeya
spiff


A689565 - French Revolutionaries - Danton

Post 2

Gnomon - time to move on

Spiff, I'm afraid I have no interest in the French Revolution. A quick glance through shows that it is well-written. There are a number of spelling errors and ommissions, but I'm sure I don't need to point them out to you; a careful reading will find them.

My only concern with this article is how it fits into the greater scheme of things. If it is linked from an introduction to the revolution, then it is ok. If not, it will need more in the line of basic explanation at the start. I'm not familiar with University projects. I thought that each entry in h2g2 had to be self-explanatory, but this may not apply to Uni stuff.


A689565 - French Revolutionaries - Danton

Post 3

Myriad

Poetic Justice.

In the part where you said "spelling errors and ommissions" - ommisions is incorrectly spelt.

That's life.







Myriad.


A689565 - French Revolutionaries - Danton

Post 4

Spiff

Gee, that word 'revolutionaries' in the title sure paid off! smiley - biggrin

Hi G, smiley - ok, Yeah, this is part of the uni proj A685668. The format allows you to cross-reference within the project and that should make the context clear. Perhaps I should make sure there is a link to the project page in each entry.

Spelling errors are one thing - time yet to sort them out - but what kind of omissions? If it's a missed 'the' or prepositon here or there, no probs, as you say, I'll probably spot them on a re-read. But 'omissions' sounds ominous to me. smiley - yikes Anything I should know?

smiley - ufo

Hi Myriad, smiley - ok

smiley - laugh

thanks for the feedback, smiley - cheers

seeya
spiff


A689565 - French Revolutionaries - Danton

Post 5

Gnomon - time to move on

I do know how to spell omissions, when I think about it. That one just slipped through. I meant, omissions of simple words like "a" and "the". You haven't left out huge chunks of information. Or if you have, I don't know about them.

My main reason for disliking the University system is that by skipping Peer Review, you miss out on a huge amount of advice. You'd be amazed what people know. There is probably someone out there among the h2g2 researchers who knows a lot about Danton, but they'll never comment on your article until you've finished it and published it. With Peer Review, a fair number of people will read it first, and we're a knowledgeable lot! We nearly always have something to say!


A689565 - French Revolutionaries - Danton

Post 6

Spiff

Fear not, G, I don't take any notice of typos in threads (unless they are frequent and repeated, I spose). It's not like you're gonna proof-read every post twice or anything, even if it is nicer to make an effort. I will read through my entry, however, to try to clean up the stuff you mentioned. smiley - cheers

Yeah, I've had the PR/Uni Project clash problem with the first stuff that I wrote here. I was initially attracted to the language entries on h2g2 and I got going writing some semi-pseudo-academic-but-understandable stuff about RP, Prescriptive linguistics and stuff. I offered to contribute it to the English Language project but that seems to be lacking momentum and it could be "some time" before it hits the front page. smiley - smiley

Not to worry, I never was too happy with them and they aren't much fun. Since then I've enjoyed myself a bit more and the idea of getting a whole bunch of stuff about the Fr Rev appealed. It's a lot of work and I lack application, but maybe it'll get there some day.

In the meantime, I won't plug my very first personal entry into PR; A686793 - submitted this very afternoon!

Oops! smiley - biggrin

As for PR, do you think I could get away with putting the Danton piece in with a disclaimer saying *Do not pick! Uni Project entry.*?

That way I could get the kind of feedback you are talking about but not 'betray' my commitment to the Eng Lang thing. Just an idea.

It's cool that you are commenting on stuff in WW though, smiley - cheers. If a few more people took such an interest, maybe this would be just the place for non-PR feedback. smiley - ok

seeya
spiff


A689565 - French Revolutionaries - Danton

Post 7

Gnomon - time to move on

It's rare enough that anything well-written like this gets put into the Writing Workshop. Most people just bung it straight into Peer Review, finished or not. Many of the entries in WW are no-hopers and this puts people off from commenting.


A689565 - French Revolutionaries - Danton

Post 8

Spiff


Alles klar, Gnomon! smiley - ok

looks like the WW may sink in the near future, so here's a last chance for this one up top...

spiff


A689565 - French Revolutionaries - Danton

Post 9

Bels - an incurable optimist. A1050986

Hey Spiff

What sort of comment are you looking for here?

I could point out, for example, that the footnote for Club des Cordeliers seems to be too important to be relegated to a footnote and should be incorporated in the main body. Is that useful to you?

I could mention that all the entities in 'quotes' in that para would require some sort of explanation somewhere, or links to information.

When you state "In 1792 he was instrumental in the attack on the Tuileries" I could ask: Instrumental? In what way instrumental?

I mean, in PR entries are supposed to be considered 'finished' as well as self-contained, so people comment on them from that point of view. But if this is still work-in-progress, and not only that but part of a larger project-in-progress, what would be most useful to you at this stage?

Bels


A689565 - French Revolutionaries - Danton

Post 10

Spiff


A belated hello, Bels, smiley - smiley

The WW has been quite a hive of activity recently, wouldn't you say? smiley - smiley

This was one of my early entries for the project (pick the fun stuff first, you know how it is) and I just wanted to get some feedback on tone and content, i spose.

I actually got some good advice on structure generally, and need to make some changes to this.

cya
spiff


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more