Talking Point: Horoscopes

24 Conversations

Libra: Today is a good day for cutting your toenails. Friends and colleagues will be laughing constantly today though this has less to do with your wit then you might think. Check that your skirt is not tucked into your knickers. Avoid ginger and blue cats before lunch. Lucky sandwich filling - tuna mayo.

Most newspapers, magazines and even websites have sections devoted to what's in the stars. It seems that a large section of the general public can't get through the day without wanting to know what is going to happen over the next week or month. Horoscopes are big business - just look at the astrology department in your local bookshop. So is there some truth in it or are we being ripped off? Is it to be taken seriously or is just a bit of fun?

So tell us:

  • Do you read your horoscope regularly?

  • Or do you consider it a load of old pig swill?

  • Do you take the predictions seriously or is it all a bit of fun?

  • What star sign are you? Are you a typical virgo, for instance?

  • Are you and your partner astrologically compatible?

  • Why do you think people find astrology so interesting? Why are we so intrigued by what might happen next?

  • Is there a difference between individual horoscopes and those that appear in newspapers and magazines?

  • Can we dismiss astrology easily when it has played such a central role in many civilisations?

  • Should more research be done into astrology? Can we trust scientists to be even-handed and fair?

  • Has your horoscope come true? If so tell us about it!


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A687765

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Edited by

h2g2 Editors

References

h2g2 Entries

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more