A Conversation for Notes from a Small Planet

Harry Potter

Post 1

Anwaith The Farwanderer

I share your sentiment about the reaction of religious conservitives to the Harry Potter books. With this in mind, I wish to share that there are yet more glimmers of hope. I recently hear that the Archbishop of Denver, CO USA, where I live had reviews the book at the request of his congregations.

His review on the whole was positive. His only concern was the fact that in order to suceed, Harry had to lie.

This seemed to be an accurate and reasonable assessment. I was impressed.

Anwaith


Harry Potter

Post 2

Ormondroyd

I think that the Archbishop is right, in the sense that Harry certainly does have to tell the odd untruth in the course of the books. He also breaks the rules of Hogwarts School on a regular basis, though always with good intentions. That's very much the way life is, I'd say - you sometimes have to bend the rules, or compromise your ideals a little, for a greater good.

But the important thing to me is that the overall message of the books is very positive. Those who seek power for its own sake lose. Those who abuse power lose. There are strong female characters in the books, notably Hermione - I'd have thought that most parents of girls would be happy for their daughters to identify with such a serious student! I think there's also an anti-racist message in the way that the Malfoys and Slytherin House want to expel everyone from Hogwarts who isn't 'of pure wizarding blood' ('Mudbloods', as they call them) - but Harry and the other good characters in the books resist that.

Sounds like a good set of messages to me! And by the way, I'm about to lend my copy of 'Harry Potter And The Chamber Of Secrets' to my 66-year-old mother, who saw the film with me and loved it! smiley - wizardsmiley - magic


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more