A Conversation for Notes from a Small Planet

Social Drug Taking.

Post 1

DoctorMO (Keeper of the Computer, Guru, Community Artist)

"Personally, if I had a teenage son who didn't show any interest in drink or drugs, I'd wonder what was wrong with him. I'd also want a DNA test done on him to make absolutely sure that he actually was my son, since he certainly wouldn't be taking after me."

I'm just wondering about my social standing, it apears I am at odds with the sway of public opinion as I care not for ethernol nor any other drug, and yet my father was a drinking loony and my mother is still drinking every now and again. I like your liberal view, and ask not for restriction but for education into such things. which was sadly lacking in my education.

-- DoctorMO --


Social Drug Taking.

Post 2

deackie

Harry just seems to be following in the footsteps of all siblings to the heir to the throne. He's been given a great role model in Princess Margaret. A sobering thought though, look what her lifestyle has done to her.


Social Drug Taking.

Post 3

Ormondroyd

I wasn't being entirely serious in that paragraph, DoctorMO! smiley - winkeye Nor did I mean to suggest that smiley - alesmiley - stoutsmiley - stiffdrink should in some way be regarded as compulsory. My point was merely that Harry's behaviour was pretty typical teenage behaviour, and that rather a lot of silly fuss was being made about it.

Still, I must agree with deackie. I hope Harry doesn't end up the same way as Princess Margaret!


Social Drug Taking.

Post 4

DoctorMO (Keeper of the Computer, Guru, Community Artist)

Yes but if you say Typical Teenage behavour, people like me get labled as drinking fools of the class homo ethernolic stupicus and this realy does not help when your tring to get things like cars, or jobs. Whos Princess Margaret, Don't fear me to be shallow just not that interested in royle affairs.

-- DoctorMO --


Social Drug Taking.

Post 5

deackie

Princess Margaret is the Queen's younger sister and her drinking is well-known. She's had a life of riotous partying but she's paid the price. She looks 20 years older than her sister, has had numerous strokes, I think maybe a heart attack, she is rather frail and she seems a touch senile. She famously scoulded her foot so badly she required hospitalisation and months in a wheelchair because she forgot to put cold water in the bath and check the temperature before she climbed in. Sounds like dementia. People forget the long term damage heavy drinking can cause. I'm all for a few pints of smiley - ale though smiley - cheers

DoctorMO, why does being a "drinking fool" hinder you getting a job or a car?


Social Drug Taking.

Post 6

DoctorMO (Keeper of the Computer, Guru, Community Artist)

ignorance realy does bring bliss...


Social Drug Taking.

Post 7

deackie

Call me ignorant, or just plain dense, but I really don't understand and I'd like you to explain. I know people that drink, people that don't, alcoholics and recovering alcoholics but I'm still unclear on the drinking fool thing and problems getting cars and jobs. Where do you live? What type of jobs do you refer to? I obviously just move in a different type of area. Please explain.

deackie, genuinely wanting to know.


Social Drug Taking.

Post 8

DoctorMO (Keeper of the Computer, Guru, Community Artist)

So you ern't just being funny?

Unfortunatly people, lots of people use sterio types, maby because there brains too small to cope with real people I'm not sure. but still most people who do this sort of thing seem to have there fingers in all the right places, and if they can sterio type you with drunken face cobers we get round here, then there more likly to sell a car or give a job to Osma Bin laden.

-- DoctorMO --


Social Drug Taking.

Post 9

deackie

No, I wasn't being funny, thanks for explaining. I think drinking is a cultural thing. I have friends who don't drink and they feel very uncomfortable because they seem to stand out in a place where drinking is a part of many aspects of life. I sometimes go to bars but only drink soft drinks because I don't want alcohol but want to socialise with my friends. Everyone looks at me like I am strange and people try and persuade me to drink, people even offer to buy me drinks because not drinking isn't quite acceptable. One friend has a pseudo-allergy which means her can't drink because it makes him ill. Even he now feels he has to have one drink and make it last. He is willing to put up with illness just to fit in, that is how strong the culture is. The ability to consume vast quantities of alcohol is highly regarded. smiley - weird After last night at the meet though I have to raise my hand and confess to conforming socially, or in other terms, drinking far too much.


Social Drug Taking.

Post 10

DoctorMO (Keeper of the Computer, Guru, Community Artist)

Though to be the one to point out the bloody obvious, isn’t drinking only counted as OK by the many because it has no ‘real’ dangers and makes you have an endorphin rush? Maybe people should consider going out to bars and ordering a bar of dairy milk or a kit Kat, because it will give you the same rush only probably with less danger. I am sorry to here about your friend though, he should have the sense to get past this stupid thought that what people think matters, because you really do reach rock bottom when you’re getting everybody else to think for you.

-- DoctorMO --


Social Drug Taking.

Post 11

deackie

smiley - weird coincidence. Just as I read your post I was tucking in to a bar of dairy milk. Drinking has far too many dangers that people don't realise. For most people it isn't a problem although continuous excessive drinking can knock about 5-10 years off your life, the real problems occur to a minority, but what problems they are. I've known 4 teenage alcoholics and that really is shocking, especially when by 19 their livers are starting to fail.

I certainly am in no position to be morally superior though, as I've already mentioned, I do enjoy smiley - ale and that's not because of social pressure. Very few people I know in RL even drink smiley - ale It's just important to remain sensible.


Social Drug Taking.

Post 12

DoctorMO (Keeper of the Computer, Guru, Community Artist)

Good to here that people still have that indervidual screeming to get out.

It's funny, you ask people a question and they will anwser with the socialy right anwser, were as what the anwser they would have given might have been somewhat diffrent.

-- DoctorMO --


Key: Complain about this post