A Conversation for Archived Glorious Gazette / Ghostly Amiable Gnome

I know you're all out to get me, but...

Post 21

~ jwf ~ scribblo ergo sum

Glad to see the xmas flu has passed, tonsil. Good to see you feeling better. Hope the wife and the juggler are over it too.
What we need from you is your vote. Do you like these three? Do you like any others better?
Have you spotted any new ones?
smiley - biggrin
jwf


...

Post 22

~ jwf ~ scribblo ergo sum

>>"Girlfriend in a Coma" is funny. I don't quite understand the title, but...<<

Apparently 'Amiga' is some sort of Spanish dialect for 'girlfriend'.

The downturn in the fortunes of 'Amiga' computers caused by mismanagement of the Commodore Computing Co. is the coma I guess.

smiley - headhurts
~j~


Not well, but bearing up.

Post 23

Tonsil Revenge (PG)

I'm not a big fan of any of them. Do what you wish.
I will do some looking tonight.
The title is actually explained in the entry. I caught it right off the bat. If you wish, I will go back and find it for you.
Of course, it is probably not obvious. If it had been obvious I would have missed it.


Not well, but bearing up.

Post 24

Deidzoeb

I saw that amiga meant "girlfriend," but the "coma" in the title was not immediatly apparent. I'm not suggesting it needs to be changed.


Not well, but bearing up.

Post 25

Tonsil Revenge (PG)

I went back and looked at it again. It took me a couple of minutes to find it again.
It's in the subtext. It's actually a bad in-joke.
Most computers are 'orphaned' when their company goes under or decides not to support them. Or they are 'dead'. Like the 99/4a.
The Amiga has support all over the place from the users.
The Amiga is in a 'coma' because it has not yet been
successfully 'revived'.
Various companies like Siemens and Gateway have gotten rights to the OS but haven't done anything with it.
The company is supposedly back in the hands of one of the originators and there are hopes (again) of resurrection this year.
I don't think we need to explain the gag to anyone else. If they don't get it, they won't have been alone.


It's quiet..., too quiet!

Post 26

Spiff

Hi all,

This thread had fallen back to the second page of 'older convs' on my space. smiley - sadface

Here's something to look at, needs a little work, and arguably it's a re-working of an old joke, but good fun anyway.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/A303337

Seeya


It's quiet..., too quiet!

Post 27

Tonsil Revenge (PG)

(sound of crickets waiting to hear a pin drop)


It's quiet..., too quiet!

Post 28

Tonsil Revenge (PG)

Gee, the bottom of the barrel is looking awfully shiny today...
smiley - sharksmiley - ufo


It's quiet..., too quiet!

Post 29

Deidzoeb

To phrase it euphemistically, the polar bear article is not yet ready for prime time. But, tonsil, I hope none of our victims are hanging around this thread to hear you talk like that.


It's quiet..., too quiet!

Post 30

Tonsil Revenge (PG)

That's okay. I found two nice things in your barrel. I posted them on the organizational discussion thread.
Fair is fair.
Also, I don't know what it's purpose is, but I like this :http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/A658389


When you're ACE!

Post 31

Spiff

I like the Morisson ACE piece! smiley - laugh

Also rate this - http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/A661150

A Muse on Bottled Beers.

Could do with a few tweaks, maybe, but I like it.

Seeya


When you're ACE!

Post 32

Tonsil Revenge (PG)

Nah! 'Ee's committing sacriledge and blasphemy. No Old Peculiar!
Or Pete's Wicked Ale! Or Genesee Cream Ale!
I'm gonna go look at Bossel's recc's.
I just got back from the grocers.


When you're ACE!

Post 33

Tonsil Revenge (PG)

Bosselnosetothegrindstone is right, this one http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/A365816
deserves an airing.


Sins of the father

Post 34

Spiff

Are we all agreed on the Sins of the Father, then? I haven't seen all Bossel's other recs yet but I did look at the RobiComb and Dei's Brats.

I agree about the RobiComb being basically editable. Quite good fun though and probably news to most readers. Don't think I'll be rushing out to buy one today, though! smiley - biggrin

I guess you'd rather we profiled the trailer temptress, Dei - http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/A398748. It certainly is alternative! I thoroughly enjoyed reading this total fiction, thanks. smiley - cheers

Seeya


No news is no news

Post 35

Spiff


Hi all

No response from Maz who wrote the Paranoia piece. Since we have talked about making changes to it, maybe we should wait 'til we get some 'permission to edit'.

There doesn't seem any shortage of options at the mo', though. What else is favourite?


No news is no news

Post 36

~ jwf ~ scribblo ergo sum

Hi Spiff,
I am feeling very grumpy and cynical today and not entirely happy with what I wrote yesterday for #6. So far it has just the 2 sports bits. Surfing and skating, and while they are interesting and readable, neither is really exciting.
How about, you pick the third one, and write a short intro today. It would be big help.
I see Lucinda has updated the nominations list. Not sure if he got all of the many, many suggestions everyone's been making recently (Thanks guys smiley - ok!), so if anybody finds that one of their suggestions didn't get listed, just recommend it again here ..no wait, do it in the other 'More suggestions' thread and we'll get them added.
I'm off to plough (plow?) thru (through?) the new nominations list and see if something inspires me to start putting #7 together.
peace
jwf


No news is no news

Post 37

~ jwf ~ scribblo ergo sum

STOP THE PRESSES!
Yay, Spliff. Yes Sins of the Father will save issue #6!
A very satisfying read. The very thing!
Will you do an intro for it, and we'll use it as our feature piece.
There is one typo - 'work' for 'word' in an early paragraph, which I will fix by cutting and pasting the whole thing to an AGG/GAG entry. This new position which will result in a new "A" number of course, unless the author can fix it where it is today. But I get the impression they aren't around much. I left a note suggesting we were using it this week, so we just need a good intro and I know you can do it!
peace
jwf


No news is no news

Post 38

The CAC CONTINUUM - The ongoing adventures of the Committee for Alien Content (a division of AggGag)

smiley - laugh
I keep misplacing this thread because I've never posted as AGG/GAG here before and it doesn't show up on the page, only on the Glorious Archive page. So now it should.
smiley - biggrin
Oh and I just found the discussion between Spiff and =X about writing an intro for Sins of the Father in Bossel's 'Scouted for you' thread off the Original Homepage. I guess we're all excited about this Entry.
No offense =X but I think Spliff is right. I just hope he gets an intro written by noon Wednesday or I'll just have to re-work yours a bit.

*Off to see if it's true what you said (somewhere) about your 'recipe' entries. smiley - smiley Is there something else of yours you'd rather see featured in #7?*
peace
jwf


Hmm..

Post 39

~ jwf ~ scribblo ergo sum

smiley - wow
I just took a look at one of =X's pieces.
Now my mind is completely blown with unresolved issues of Identity and Purpose mingled with loving images of crystals named Kenny who live in trees and trailer trash that drove the warlord-wizards from pre MacKinley Michigan*.

*Michigan, a state of mind.

gone for a smoke
jwf


Sins of the father

Post 40

Deidzoeb

Thanks, Spiff, but if I remember correctly, "Trailer of the Temptress" may have already been used by the Post! Yikes! Never thought I'd get to say that! There were two of my stories that were used by the Post, during a long spell when I wasn't hanging around h2g2 much, maybe summer of 2000? I can't remember if Trailer was one of them, or maybe the Myth of the Mountain-Tree stories.

Anyhow, thanks for saying it. I've been working on some non-fiction pieces that I was going to submit for AWW and then AGG/GAG (breaking my committment to create no new material for h2g2). But they're not quite ready.


Key: Complain about this post