The completely true and factual account of the NYC meet-up Nov 2001

1 Conversation

The Begining of my day

After weeks of milling around the time and place was finally decided and set up for the 10th of whatever month this happens to be. The six NE axe murders were to meet, eat, and drink. It was suggested by Mr. Cogito that we meet up at a place called Veselka in the east village at 1600. We all started our days in different locations so I will only discuss my version of the events leading up to and including the meet. As I left my home early Sat morning (about 1200, hey you go out drinking all night on Fri and not call noon early) and got on my train taking me into the city. As usual Grand Central was totally uncrowded and empty smiley - winkeye. Lowering my shoulder I ran pushing people out of my way as I made it to the subway system and took a little choo choo to pen station. You may be asking why all this detail, heck I am at work and have plenty of time so to bad smiley - biggrin. My first stop was to meet a few friends at a totally un-neardy demo of a new CCG based on Lord of the Rings (oh yes I got my but kicked but got some free cards yay). After leaving there me and a few friends started walking south and I was my usual friendly self to the passing people. You would be surprised how many people you have to wave to before you get a positive response in NYC. Dropping them off at the equally un-neardy comic book con I took off for the east village.

Now that I am done with that the actual begining of the meet

As I got to the corner of 2nd Ave. and 9th street I looked around for some dinner type thing called Veselka. After looking at the sign 3 times without releasing it was the right place I finally made my way across the street and into the front door of the place. Very few places are made the right size for me in the city. I always feel I am going to run over people or hurt someone if I am not very careful. I worked my way from the front door to the back almost killing all the pretty little hostess and waitress on my way. I of course wearing my trusty towel thought I would stand out enough and was hoping someone would say hey you bubba over here. After a very awkward look around for people I had very little idea what they would look like I decided that maybe they were not inside. A hostess asked if I needed help and I proceeded to ask if there was a group of people waiting for others to arrive. She pointed me outside where I came across 3 people that kinda looked like they might have been some of the ones in the pictures passed around before the meet. I introduced my self to Paul H, Batty, and Mr. Cogito and we sat waiting for others to arrive. Shea happened along a min or two latter and sat down with us. We got on with some chit chat until our table was available inside.

We make it inside Velsiki and then start bar crawl

Velsiki is evidently a Ukrainian dinner of some sort where you can get cheep food. Quite interesting really. We all place our orders and discussed how Dr. Funk must of gotten lost or something along the way. Of course almost immediately after saying that he showed up and joined our merry band of axe murders. After eating a lovely meal we decided to start our bar crawl. With winter upon us the sun sets so early it is easily to not realize how early it is. After trudging along 9th street we came across the world famous smiley - cappuccino and tattoo place. Of course it was decided then and there that we would all get matching H2G2 tattoos on our arms so that we could show the rest of you guys how a meet up is supposed to go. Paul H said it would be slightly more appropriate if we had at least started drinking before we did it that way would could have an excuse if any of coworkers decided to ask. An unlikely-looking group of people taking part in a pub quizAfter that place we trudged on till we found a place across from drink land that was a little to crowded for us to actually find a place. Following the lead of the good Dr. and Mr. C we went across the park where hairy-Christians movement was started. After discussing the total lack of trees and shrub except for those inside the parks in NYC we found a nice quite little place on 9th St and Ave C. It was a very classy place and I was worried if it might be a little to upper class for our motley crew. The art work astounded me and it was decided that there would have to be a group shot in front of the devil woman mural. We of course were the first people in the bar that night, it having just opened started off drinking. Music started and conversation flowed. Oh the discussions ranged from h2g2 to smiley - sheep and was quite entertaining really. We happened to luck out and drinks were 2 for one at the time so of course we drank some more. After a while I looked outside and at my empty alcohol containers and figured it must be getting on to about midnight. Of course I was a little shocked to find it was only 1900. This is when the night started getting a little weird. Shea noticed a bunch of old ladies going in and out of this building caring many bags and things. We quickly surmised that it must be some kind of old lady drug factory and sent Paul in to find out about it. We watched as he climbed the side of the building then repelled down the other side just to enter the front door. After about 30 mins we saw him walk back out and make his way back into the bar. He quickly told us not to worry that the little old ladies were not drug lords or anything but we did notice that he was carrying a mighty big bag of brownies labeled special. After that there was some more talk and Shea once again noticed interesting activity outside. The A Team van It seems a women decided to find a spot for her van that was oh I don't know 2 feet too small. She proceeded to parallel park for about 20 mins hitting the car in front of her several times. She must of seen us smiley - laugh at her from the bar because she came out yelling at us. A little while latter she came out of the building and put a coat on and proceeded to lead kids off across the street to be sold on the black market. The only thing I can figure is that she had called the smiley - sheep and told them our location but that's another part of the story. Before we left the Devil women bar we approached three lovely young ladies sitting underneath the mural and asked if one would take a picture of us as we stood underneath it. Relieved that the group of Axe murders were not there to cut her to tiny tiny bits she helped us out. After almost falling over a bar stool she quickly took the two pictures for us and we got our stuff ready to leave. (Don't worry I made sure the girl's next round of drinks were taken care of before we left) We once again went trudging back along 9th Ave. This time we walked I don't know hmm with Batty's guess about 10 miles till we reached another very nice bar. (whoops almost forgot, as we were walking along Dr. Funk and I over heard this young women start to ask a very interesting question, "Like if you're a vegetarian..." this of course said in a totally valley girl accent was just to funny not to smiley - laugh as she passed). This bar we were assured was sure to be packed was quite empty. Matter of fact the only people in there strangely enough were Mr. C's and Dr. Funk's girlfriends. This they told us was just a complete accident. We once again got our beverages and started chit chatting. Paul being Paul had continued to spout puns even after he was warned by Shea not to. At about 4 inside that place Shea promptly got up and started beating him down. Luckily we got pictures somewhere just in case. As the night went on the first two to drop were Mr. C and Dr. Funk who decided to smiley - runaway with there girlfriends. A little while latter we decided to call it a night and started heading for the door...

Those damn dirty smiley - sheep

SheepWe got to the door only to find that it was guarded by smiley - sheep, squirls, and really big smiley - bunny. We fought a valiant fight until the enemy had run away...

The End of the meet

So on to the train we went. We decided to get a few more shots of the group to finish off Shea's roll of film and we (well actually I) accidentally caused an older women to talk to us for like 5 mins. What can I say besides whoops. We stopped at the world famous pizza/bagel place and got a little food to sop up some of the liquid running around in our stomachs. From there it was a short walk to the train station where we definitely didn't bagger or whatever that word was it escapes me now but that's ok. Hopping the first #6 we headed north. Once on the train the rest of the crew only had one stop before they would have to change trains. I said my good-byes and assured them I was fine. All I would need is a compass, a midget and a can of mustered and I would be able to find my home no problem. Saying good bye as the door to the subway closed I ended my involvement with my first NYC H2G2 meet-up. Funny thing was that, and I only point this out because I was on the train for a few more stops, I noticed that after that stop all the people sitting down on one side were blonde and all the other side of the train the people had dark hair, quite strange if you ask me.

One down many to go

I cannot say for anyone else but I had a good time at the meet up and look forward to Boston in the spring and the possible meet up mentioned in Feb. That's about all I can say unless you want me to add some more smiley - sheep stuff or something smiley - winkeye


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A657317

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more