A Conversation for The h2g2 Doctor Who Group

The Christmas Episode

Post 1

Researcher 3547123

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/wenn/20071028/ten-minogue-to-play-doctor-who-s-tardis-c60bd6d_1.html

Interesting little theory!


The Christmas Episode

Post 2

Jozcoz

Probably not true though


The Christmas Episode

Post 3

Researcher 3547123

IT would kind-of fly in the face of all of the past stories regarding the TARDIS, but I like the whole anagram thing, so there must be some sort of truth to it.


The Christmas Episode

Post 4

Jozcoz

What about all the stuff with "Mister Saxon" bieng an anagram of "Master no six"

That turned out to be false...


The Christmas Episode

Post 5

van-smeiter

I haven't read all the 'New Adventures' books but a charcter (Charisma rings a bell smiley - erm) becomes a 'human TARDIS'. Given how many nods RTD makes to the DW fiction between 89 and the programme's return, nothing would surprise me.

Van smiley - cheerup


The Christmas Episode

Post 6

Jozcoz

What if the Doctor spontaniously combusted in the middle of an episode

i bet that'd surprise you...


The Christmas Episode

Post 7

Researcher 3547123

I think she'll be "The Spirit of the TARDIS"

Get me a bucket right now!


The Christmas Episode

Post 8

Smij - Formerly Jimster

There's some lovely continuity in the new series, not just to old episodes but to everything, really.

smiley - tea In 'Dalek', the staff are seen to have ordered pizza from 'Jubilee Pizzas' (the episode was inspired by Rob Shearman's Big Finish play 'Jubilee').

smiley - teaIn 'Aliens of London', one of the UNIT soldiers shares her name with a regular UNIT character from the DWM comic strips.

smiley - tea In the 'Monsters and Villains' book, Russell supplied back-stories for all the delegates to the End of the World, and the story of the Forest of Cheam tree people is just breathtaking. Apparently, part of their evolution involved the Deathsmiths of Goth - a horrific race seen in a stunning back-up strip in Doctor Who Weekly where a platoon of Cybermen are wiped out by a cadaverous Deathsmith.

... which is why, when we first heard there was a story coming up involving a Roman setting, me and my mate instantly thought 'The Iron Legion' - one of the all-time greatest Who comic strips. We were wrong (I think), but that would make for a stunning two-part story I think.


The Christmas Episode

Post 9

van-smeiter

Ok, it wasn't in the middle of an episode, but the 9th Doctor spontaneously combusted into the 10th Doctor! smiley - winkeye

I'd be most happy if anyone did anything that dramatic mid-episode; at least it would be a surprise!

Ooh, I wonder if the Daleks V Cybermen will be the season climax; no way will the Master be in the last few episodes of the season; I heard that Kylie Minogue will be in the xmas special...

Tell me something I don't know! smiley - tongueout


The Christmas Episode

Post 10

Jozcoz

>>the 9th Doctor spontaneously combusted into the 10th Doctor<<

He didn't spontaniously combust, he regenerated

and we all knew that was comming


The Christmas Episode

Post 11

U168592

POSSIBLE SPOILER???

Xmas Episode, dare I say 'Robots of Death...'

Titanic is not 'real' Titanic, is starship with early models of Robots on board...

Maybe.


The Christmas Episode

Post 12

Reefgirl (Brunel Baby)

So what did we think, Gene Hackman did it better but Dr Who Meets the Posidon Adventure was better than are we bovverd about the Bride last year


The Christmas Episode

Post 13

Primeval Mudd (formerly Roymondo)

The rip off bits were a bit blatant weren't they? The even stole Shelley Winters' character wholesale!

Still, apart from the silly 'carried aloft by angels with the fists in the air' and 'No more!' (why do they feel the need to put these annoyances in? Is it just to wind me up?) it was bleedin' marvelous.

Even Mother liked it.

Kylie was good too!


The Christmas Episode

Post 14

Jim Lynn

I thought it was great. Very sad that Astrid died, so I'm glad I managed to miss spoilers. I was surprised they didn't take a chunk out of Buckingham Palace when thy were passing, but I was hooting at that bit.

I suppose, if they're doing a disaster movie, it's inevitable that most of the characters died, but sad nevertheless.

Still, a perfect Christmas episode, I'd say. Although I'm not sure I like the new theme arrangement. We shall see.


The Christmas Episode

Post 15

Mister Matty

I thought it was a bit all over the place. It started out being a Douglas Adams-ish lighthearted bit of "silly" sci-fi with an alien ship done-up as the Titanic and celebrating "christmas" for kitsch reasons and then suddenly everyone was being killed and it was all a bit nasty (there was even some blood). It swung between these two throughout the episode - blameless, likeable characters get killed-off, almost the entire population of the ship slaughtered and then the main villain turns out to be pure panto-villain with a "comedy" acting manner, gurning, the lot.

Having said all that I quite enjoyed it, it was better than last year's effort but it seemed to be under the impression it was more "serious" and affecting than it actually was. The death of Astrid was sad but it didn't have the impact of, for example, John Smith's "death" in "Family of Blood". It felt more like watching people killed in a pantomime that suddenly went serious for a few moments.


The Christmas Episode

Post 16

Primeval Mudd (formerly Roymondo)

I thought Max was pretty good, but the hammy bar for 'chair-based-baddies' was raised so high by Roger Lloyd Pack's pantomime cyberdad that my expectations were pretty low.

Geoffrey palmer was marvellous, the robots were rubbish and too many people died in too short a time during the Poseidon bridge crawl scene: Shelley Winters went too quickly after her bloke making it seem even more contrived than it already was.

Still, it was good. I'm currently watching again on the iPlayer (mind you, the alternative is To The Manor Born so I'd probably be watching it even if it was last year's Big Red Spider nonsense.)

Bernard Cribbins turning up was a nice touch! All those years in non-canon limbo and now he's finally been in it 'proper'.smiley - biggrin


The Christmas Episode

Post 17

Reefgirl (Brunel Baby)

"The even stole Shelley Winters' character wholesale!"
Agreed, the way Astid hung onto the Doctor reminded me a little of Susan Shelby, thank smiley - bleep she didn't have an annoying brat of a brother, Clive Swift's character reminded me of Manny Rosen, even to look at


The Christmas Episode

Post 18

Traveller in Time Reporting Bugs -o-o- Broken the chain of Pliny -o-o- Hired

Traveller in Time smiley - tit finally found time to watch
"We did watch with the falmily two years back and I am actually happy we did not this year.

A little too violent for our taste. smiley - erm

I was waiting for the heel of the ship to crash into Buckingham Palace, not unlike some game smiley - smiley"


The Christmas Episode

Post 19

Mr. Dreadful - But really I'm not actually your friend, but I am...

Twas a good episode... the sentimental stuff had all the subtlety of a brick to the face (but then I've come to expect that from RTD), and the competition-winning couple were completely unecessary. But yeah, enjoyed it.

Nearly had palpitations at one point though... having been enjoying pics of Kylie in that dress and those boots (oh, the boots!) I noticed at one point she was wearing seamed stockings. Oh my giddy aunt! *Fans himself and has a smiley - stiffdrink*


The Christmas Episode

Post 20

Sho - employed again!

seamed tights...

I enjoyed it but oh my, there was a shockingly high deathcount. The gruesomes liked the Angels - a lot like autons, and the 3 question thing was hilarious.

but I really really hate that theme tune. Tell me it's not replacing the old one? smiley - wah


Key: Complain about this post