A Conversation for The h2g2 Doctor Who Group

The Curse of the Fatal Death

Post 41

Primeval Mudd (formerly Roymondo)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss_d_h_/202-7732579-7345436?url=search-alias%3Ddvd&field-keywords=red+dwarf&Go.x=13&Go.y=15&Go=Go

That's Amazon. £50 for all the episodes without extras, between £14 - £17 for each individual series *with* extras.


The Curse of the Fatal Death

Post 42

Aximili

I'm probably being really dumb here (Quiet at the backsmiley - winkeye) ut what do CIN and RND mean?

*Awaits an answer that would be totally obvious to him if his brain was working*


The Curse of the Fatal Death

Post 43

Primeval Mudd (formerly Roymondo)

What are CIN & RND?


The Curse of the Fatal Death

Post 44

Primeval Mudd (formerly Roymondo)

Further to that, whatever they are there seem to be plenty of Torrents for them!


The Curse of the Fatal Death

Post 45

Primeval Mudd (formerly Roymondo)

Ah! Children In Need & Red Nose Day.smiley - doh


The Curse of the Fatal Death

Post 46

Jozcoz

CIN: Children in Need

RND: Red Nose Day

Arn't torrents illegal?


The Curse of the Fatal Death

Post 47

Aximili

*slaps forehead*

Told you it would be obvioussmiley - winkeye

I hope so, as long as they get Stephen Moffatt to write them. I haven't seen one of his DW episodes I didn't enjoy (Which is more than can be said for RTD's episodes)


The Curse of the Fatal Death

Post 48

Primeval Mudd (formerly Roymondo)

Most are, some aren't. Unfortunately the BBC are encouraging the use of illegal torrents by showing Dr Who several months, if not years, behind in the USA, much as Heroes encouraged the same in the UK.

Dear BBC, it's a global market. Start treating it as one.


The Curse of the Fatal Death

Post 49

Aximili

I know, it really is ridiculous.


The Curse of the Fatal Death

Post 50

Jim Lynn

"Unfortunately the BBC are encouraging the use of illegal torrents by showing Dr Who several months, if not years, behind in the USA, much as Heroes encouraged the same in the UK.

Dear BBC, it's a global market. Start treating it as one."

So you think it's the BBC deliberately withholding Doctor Who from other territories? Or perhaps it's the local broadcasters being a year behind because they didn't buy the programme until it was an established success.

I'd be willing to bet that the BBC would *love* for Who to be broadcast at the same time (roughly) across the world. But international TV sales just doesn't work that way.

The only case I can think of when it did was for Season 3 of Babylon 5. Channel 4 started showing it well after the US broadcasts, because they wanted to show it weekly, and in the US they show a few episodes, then do some repeats, then show some more new episodes. So C4 started showing it as early as they could, but with enouh time that when the last episode was delivered by the makers they'd be ready to show it.

Then the US broadcasters kept preempting it for sports events and stuff so that they were scheduled to show the final four episodes several weeks after C4 were scheduled to show them, and luckily, C4 already had a contract guaranteeing delivery at particular times, so we saw those episodes ahead of the US. Needless to say, it never happened again on B5.

I think something similar happened with S3 of Buffy.


The Curse of the Fatal Death

Post 51

Primeval Mudd (formerly Roymondo)

Fair point, but all concerned are losing a lot of revenue at the moment. I know the BBC are trying to do a legit. torrent thing with iPlayer. Hopefully they're getting into this early enough, but it's too late to save the revenue lost from Doctor Who to illegitimate torrents over the last three years.


The Curse of the Fatal Death

Post 52

Primeval Mudd (formerly Roymondo)

To clarify that a bit: use torrents, charge as sensible amount per episode (enough to make it worthwhile, little enough to discourage piracy) and the decisions of regional networks would be irrelevant. Probably wouldn't go down too well with the US networks, at least not until everyone's doing it.


The Curse of the Fatal Death

Post 53

Jozcoz

Do you know when they are planning to do this?


The Curse of the Fatal Death

Post 54

Primeval Mudd (formerly Roymondo)

The iPlayer beta testing at the moment but it will only be available to UK peeps.


Key: Complain about this post