A Conversation for Talking Point: What's In Your Secret Library?

Depressing List

Post 1

xero

These are the books most British would want to pass on? smiley - wah Boy that's depressing. Nothing from CS Lewis, nothing from Tolkien, Lewis Carrol, Douglas Adams, Daniel Defoe, Dickens, Barrie, Huxley, Orwell, Milton, Shakespeare??? And that's only a few of the BRITISH authors!!!
The books listed range from the trite to self-aggrandizement to a book of outright lies presenting itself as truth.
Egads, it's time for a literary revolution.


Depressing List

Post 2

FordsTowel

HEY! That's not fair!smiley - steam

Apparently you didn't read my suggestions under "Unsung Gems".smiley - doh

I mentioned CS Lewis's 'Screwtape Letters' specifically!smiley - ok

smiley - cheers
smiley - towel


Depressing List

Post 3

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

I'm with Xero on this.... (and I think we're refering to the 'origional' list talked about on the entry page, not necessarily contributers here on HooToo's suggestions)...
The bluddy da vincy code... harry smiley - bleep ing potter...
I'm not necessarily for book 'snobbery', and only expounding the virtues of the so-called 'classics', but they're called 'the classics' for a reason, and have survived and remained popular often over a long period, due to something more than their immediate take on society as it was at the point they were written...
but I'm a bit of a fan of Hardy so I don't dismiss the so-called classics either, though must confess to not having gone within 500 yards of Shakespears writings since my school days (though I must confess to having enjoyed a few radio adapations since way back when).
Graham green oughta fit on any list I'd put together too thinking about it... but I'd have to have a longer thought over it to really think what else as goes 'books to pass to the next generation', as that is somewhat differnt from saying 'my fav books are....' smiley - ermsmiley - zensmiley - book which remidns me I've not read hardly anything yet this year smiley - dohsmiley - booksmiley - run


Depressing List

Post 4

FordsTowel

Fair point then, Tony.smiley - ok

I so quickly blew past the 'popular survey' dreck that I had only remembered the references to "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo", Sherlock Holmes, and Brigadier Gerard stories.

smiley - cheers
smiley - towel


Depressing List

Post 5

xero

I was refering to the survey book list. You and others mentioned some great books FordsTowel (Screwtape Letters is personal favorite of mine as well, Lewis' insight always astounds me); but apparently you are in the minority and the rest of Britain (and America too I have no doubt) wants to pass on drivel.
Not that I'm saying I don't read a bit of drivel now and then (I think of it as having a piece of candy between good steaks) but I recognize it as such and would never put it on a list to pass on to the next generation.


Depressing List

Post 6

FordsTowel

Drivel can be fun, but rarely good. smiley - biggrin

smiley - cheers
smiley - towel


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more