A Conversation for Moomin Valley

Reminiscences of the Snork Maiden

Post 1

Pinniped

Forgive the intrusion. To be truthful, I arrived here while cautiously following ANDROKTONE. I was trying to reconcile a gentle touch with Haikus and the most intimidating nickname I've yet heard (and it's capitalised as well).
Moomin Valley is a pleasant surprise.
I have only the vaguest memories of reading the books as a child, but I know I must have done, because years later I took to calling a certain girlfriend the Snork Maiden. It was affectionate, and there was no real physical resemblance.
When we finally split up, she gave me a 'get out of my life' speech. What she said made it clear that she'd finally found out who the Snork Maiden was. Moreover, she was deeply hurt by the comparison. Whatever I tried to say, she remained convinced that I'd been laughing behind her back since the beginning.
I thought it was sad then, and I still do. I think it's particularly sad that she associated the Snork Maiden with negative perceptions of fatness and naivety.
I'd say that the Snork Maiden is very self-assured in a demure kind of way, wouldn't you? I also think she's not so very far from the ideal female physique, but maybe I'd better not get into that.
Good luck with building a community here in Moomin Valley. It has happy but hazy memories for me. It belongs to a part of childhood so deep, warm and comforting that it seems almost like the womb itself.
OK, that was pretentious. But maybe you know what I mean.
Yours,
P.


Reminiscences of the Snork Maiden

Post 2

ANDROKTONE (Visit MoominValley! A639010)

Sorry I've been offnet a lot this week or i'd have replied earlier. I'm always torn between the Snork Maiden and Little My..... =) The Snork Maiden is very demure and sweet, and is obviously going to grow up like Moomin Mama - capable and kindly... everyone likes her... moomin is in love with her... shes cute (with her fringe and eyelashes) and certainly no fatter than the other moomins. Thats just the shape a troll is meant to be! Perhaps your girlfriend didn't actually read the books? Maybe someone just mentioned it to her...

... I don't know why ANDROKTONE appealed so much... it has connotations of old science fiction to me (philip K dick, frank herbet et al) .. and i was looking for a good name to use that still had the .com free (although i haven't written a webpage for it yet)
Certainly I'm not a killer of men (although perhaps that sin't a *bad*thing to be known as..)

the H2G2 ANDROKTONE seems to have evolved into a creature with paws that lives in a box and keeps pet fish. I'm not sure why. I think i got infected with innate smiley - sillyness that flourishes here smiley - smiley

Thankyou for writing smiley - smiley
I'm glad you liked moomin valley. Would you like to become a resident? We've got all sorts of vacancies!

smiley - bluefish I ANDROKTONE smiley - orangefish


Reminiscences of the Snork Maiden

Post 3

Pinniped

I'd be deeply honoured to be a resident. It'll probably be better for Lion to take up the offer. Pinniped has an unpleasant tendency to corrupt Children's TV characters (Did you hear what happened to Pingu? *shudders...*)
I assure you that Lion is not related to the AntLion (who I don't recall, but who sounds to have been an unwholesome character). Lion is probably more of a Hemulin-type, from what I remember. But I think I need your advice on what to be - I'm far from expert.
One thing though, my "real life" self (when I can be bothered with him) actually spends a lot of time in Finland. About two years in the last ten, in fact. I will now ask my friends over there about Moomins, Tove Janssen etc, and try to locate those elusive TV programs. These guys will be a bit bemused at first (they're steelplant engineers, poor things), but bear with me. I'm on this mission...smiley - biggrin
Yours (Naakemiin, even)
Lion


Reminiscences of the Snork Maiden

Post 4

ANDROKTONE (Visit MoominValley! A639010)

I shall make Lion a Collector of Botanical Oddities then, if he is following in the hemulans' esteemed fottsteps.
I would be very greatful if you could help me track down the film polski moomins. (the ones with puppets not the ones with cartoons) I would like to say money is no object but sadly thats not true.. however if they know of anywhere that sells them that would be sooo cool....... (lapses into bill and ted mode for a moment)

Does Lion have his own page or does he have to share one with pinniped? Pinniped can join too (but he might have to live in a hole by the beach with the antlion if he's going to be evil smiley - smiley


Reminiscences of the Snork Maiden

Post 5

Pinniped


Polski Moomins it is. See what we can do.

Lion is honoured by his new title, and will try hard to become a vegetarian, thereby leaving all the fish for me.
Lion and Pinniped do share the same Space. Little known secret : although there are (or were) two contributors, they don't split as Lion/Pinniped. Main contributor is me, six-week old newbie. I was put onto this site by the other contributor, an old friend and researcher of long standing - and whose h2g2 identity I don't know (!)
I post everything. I got the other stuff via an outside mail-circle. (She knows I'm Pinniped, but not the passwords).
Her pieces, if your interested, are everything in the Alternative Business School and Pinniped Meets Franz Kafka. She also contributed the ideas (but not the actual text) behind Church School and the SpellChecker and Coleridge characters in the EPR.
She thinks I'm well established on my own now. Now she's got me started, there probably won't be much more free padding offered !
Lion is more or less a send-up of her, Pinniped of me.
What more can I say? Only that she's 175 years old and serving time in Holloway for the aggravated manslaughter of her pimp.
There, that should flush her out...
P.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more