A Conversation for People for Peace

Negotiate?

Post 1

NPY

Are you good at negotiating? Or do you know someone who is?

We could do with someone who is here in Northern Ireland. It's been stalemate for I can't remen=mber how long. The terrorists are on ceasefire, but the politicians won't talk to each other.


Negotiate?

Post 2

purplejenny

Hi there Not panicing yet,

I'm not much of a negotiator, but I'm even worse at arguing and fighting. The 'troubles' in Northern Ireland seem to have fallen from the news agenda in mainland UK (I live in London and read the papers for a living) over the past few weeks and months and I've not heard much about the Peace Process in the news since the McCarthy sisters got back from Washington.

Perhaps if the terrorists can hold the cease fire, the army can withdraw, and then even if the politicans won't speak to each other then maybe the people can? Maybe if non-denominational community groups for sports, music, or improving the environment could be encouraged to grow that could be a step in the right direction? Can businesses have an impact to improve things?

What do you think? Will the election have much of an impact do you think?

smiley - dontpanic


Negotiate?

Post 3

NPY

I know there are a lot of cross-community type things going on. But I'm not sure how much impact they have. Many are only voluntary, so I doubt many of the people in the most sectarian areas get involved.

I'm a bit scared of the election to be honest. Every election ewe have seems to result in the two extreme parties (Sinn Fien and the DUP) getting more and more seats, while the less extreme parties get fewer seats. It's the extreme parties that seem to fight about all the little silly things and so nothing happens.

Though, you're right. If thre ceasefire stays, it should help.


Negotiate?

Post 4

HappyDude

"over the past few weeks and months and I've not heard much about the Peace Process in the news" also living in London I was surprised by this comment until I thought about & realized much of what I head was on Radio 4 & not the newspapers smiley - erm


Negotiate?

Post 5

NPY

From what I understand, outside Northern Ireland, recently things only get broadcast if it's something big. And I think recently things like the election, the Pope's death and Charles and Camila's wedding have overshadowed the minor events here.

I suppose the last thing you heard about was the bank robbery in Belfast a few months ago?


Negotiate?

Post 6

HappyDude

nope, there was a nice bit on Radio 4 just last week on newspapers (both sides of the border).


Negotiate?

Post 7

NPY

Really? That's interesting.

I've heard people say that when they go to England or the States or wherever on holiday, people ask them things like how many times they've been shot, coz that's all they hear on the news, so they think that happens all the time here.


Negotiate?

Post 8

purplejenny

Its certainly true that radio 4 has quite a different news agenda to the newspapers - especially the tabloids. And that misconception about people being shot all the time is quite a common one. I get a little of that myself, cos I live in what's considered a 'rough' area of London but I've never had any trouble here myself.

Regarding community groups, I suppose that initiatives like that will only work for the moderate people who are happy to join such groups. Die hard extremists are more likely to remain 'stuck' in whatever opinions they hold. Short of mass brainwashings I really can't see a solution for that, except to hope that in a generation or two it will be an outdated way to think.

How have the two communities reacted to the popes death?


Negotiate?

Post 9

NPY

Think you might be right about the mass brainwashing. Even if it was compulsory for the extremes to go to these cross-community things, it probably would cause more trouble.

Thgink the Catholic community was the one that got hit most by the Pope's death. Think quite a few Belfast people went to Rome and some of them got onto the news. Though it was on the news that a Protestant church in Belfast rang it's bells as a mark of respect during the funeral. Think that was made a bit of a fuss of coz it was Protestant.


Negotiate?

Post 10

purplejenny

well, that sign of respect from the Protestant church is a bit encouraging, although it would have been terrible had they been disrespectful.

What about groups for the elderly? Do you think that the community could be brought together with social groups? Perhaps subsidised coffee morning book groups at libraries to encourage more cross community debate - or are these sorts of schemes already going on. Is there a 'truth and reconciliation' movement as a part of the peace process?


Negotiate?

Post 11

NPY

I think there is truth and reconciliation stuff going on in some places. I know that there's a fund that you can apply to for grants for cross-community things.

That coffee morning/book club might work. I did some modules on this sort of stuff at uni. We were told that it might help these sort of thinhs if people are brought together without knowing who's Catholic and who's Protestant.


Key: Complain about this post