A Conversation for People for Peace

Irony to make Alanis blush

Post 1

PeskieMinx

Well, maybe it isn't irony, but it is a mad thought...

When the World Trade Center was attacked by people who - rightly or wrongly - were willing to die for the purpose, America's most powerful people were safe far away at the International Arms Fair where their country was the biggest exhibitor, hosted in Britain.

It's incredible, but then so too is the unanimous support from American citizens for air strikes against one of the most oppressed, poverty-stricken nations in the world, Afganistan, and Britain's desire to stand "shoulder-to-shoulder" with them.

Does anyone ever ask why we should support efforts for peace made by America, the country with the highest rate in the world of death by gunshot outside a warzone?

Please join me, if you will - if you believe in the right to "peaceful protest" - in a boycott of American goods. Let's see if the sanctions they impose elsewhere are truly as effective as the US believes.


Irony to make Alanis blush

Post 2

purplejenny

Hi Peskie Minx

stunningly ironic. Specially from my point of view, which was with the anti-arms protesters hemmed in by the police one bridge down from the Excel centre where the trades fair was, dressed as a muli-coloured silvery rave-fairy. Unbelievable news via text msg and the CND speaker. smiley - erm

"but then so too is the unanimous support from American citizens for air strikes against one of the most oppressed, poverty-stricken nations in the world, Afganistan, and Britain's desire to stand "shoulder-to-shoulder" with them."

Theyre really, really scared and angry. Nothing like this has everhit the states before, and they can't concieve of a non-violent answer. We'd be mangling the word more than Morris did to call that ironic though, its actually just a very bad situation. I too am concerned about the UK's position as best chum of the US. I'm not sure about writing them blank cheques to wage war against an invisible, nebulous foe.

"Does anyone ever ask why we should support efforts for peace made by America, the country with the highest rate in the world of death by gunshot outside a warzone?"

what efforts made for peace? at the mo they're calling for war - are we with them or with the terrorists. Never trust a bogus choice like this. And its not just thier internal violence that is at issue, the international militarism of the US is growing in scope and ambition.

"Please join me, if you will - if you believe in the right to "peaceful protest" - in a boycott of American goods. Let's see if the sanctions they impose elsewhere are truly as effective as the US believes."

hmm. I'm not sure I can or will join you in that protest. Consumer boycotts are tricky to implement, and unless they get massive support your non-purchase of particluar products will make little difference. But, on the other hand i do try to shop locally and ethicly as far as possible. I've given up on the constant gulit trip about enjoying kit-kats though... Just my opinion tho, and if you are welcome to try to convince me otherwise.

Share and enjoy
peace
pj


Irony to make Alanis blush

Post 3

David Conway

Hi PeskieMinx,

Where did you get the bit of (mis)information that there is "unanimous support from American citizens fro air strikes" against Afganistan?

Here's a partial list of some current and upcoming events in Denver and Boulder, Colorado:

21/09/01 - Media Accountability March - the messages to the media include "Stop Promoting War" and "Stop Racist Arab Stereotyping."

21/09/01 - Mass Visual Support for the Mosque - which will involve a group of non-Muslims encircling a mosque to protect it from racist idiots.

22/09/01 - Protest Against Racism Rally - to be held near the Colorado State Capital Building

29/09/01 - Peace March and Rally - with the theme of Peace with Justice, Not War

There have also been, and continue to be, weekly vigils for peace four days per week (two in Denver, two in Boulder): Tuesdays, Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays, as well as educational events on Islam and Middle East politics and non-violence training.

There is a rally scheduled for 5:30 pm at the steps of the Colorado State Capital building on whatever day any US bombing begins.

This is just one metropolitan area (from my home in a suburb of Denver, it's a 20-minute drive to Boulder) in a not very populated, generally conservative state.

NBY - One of many non-war-mongering Americans.


Irony to make Alanis blush

Post 4

Deidzoeb

The poll I heard was that 92% of Americans favored military action "against terrorists or nations which harbor them," and 5% opposed it. (I didn't hear any other details of the poll besides the numbers, and I might have the wording wrong, which can be crucial in these kinds of polls.) But it scares me that only 5% agree with me.

Perhaps we could battle this myth by having an American subgroup within People for Peace? Without American researchers proclaiming their opposition to the war, people might get the impression that this h2g2 group is only Europeans griping about Americans. I'm going to start another thread under People for Peace for this idea...


Irony to make Alanis blush

Post 5

PeskieMinx

I am, in fact, a fool to believe the polls as they are never truly representative, but it was the 92% figure I heard, too.

There was a similarly scary figure quoted about us Brits - around 78% - and I cannot find 78% of the people I know who would support air strikes. Statistics are often works of pure fiction and I am happy to stand corrected and hear of American demonstrations against military action.


Irony to make Alanis blush

Post 6

David Conway

I'm afraid that I can't honestly say that "most" Americans are opposed to military action. smiley - grr Based on conversations I've had with co-workers (as random a group as I know), if bombing were to start now, at least 60% would stand and cheer. Another 20% wouldn't actually cheer, but would tell themselves and anybody else who would listen that "it had to be done to stop terrorism."

Those aren't numbers I'm proud of. But, I do think that we in the remaining 20% are enough to negate the word "unanimous." Any statement about "all Americans" is as untrue as any statements about all the citizens of any other country or all the followers of any religion.

NBY - There are vocal minorities everywhere.


Irony to make Alanis blush

Post 7

Mary Loo (Please come and see my nuclear power page A693362 thanx

Yup unfortunatly people in general it seems follow a crowd and its only the minorty who believe in something so strongly stand up and be counted. the media are brain washing people to believe in war, and its only the minority that see throu that and stand up for peace.


Irony to make Alanis blush

Post 8

purplejenny

there were at least 5000 people protesting for peace at Whitehall today...


Irony to make Alanis blush

Post 9

Mary Loo (Please come and see my nuclear power page A693362 thanx

good


Irony to make Alanis blush

Post 10

7rob7: Give Me Love (Give Me Peace On Earth)

I have been boycotting Coca-Cola, Nestle, McDonald's, Burger King and Wal-Mart for years and years. I think they are about ready to capitulate, but I don't want to get too flush with victory too soon.

(This is the place for irony, right?)

My very deep thanks to all who can and do attend the rallies. It means a lot to all of us, even those who can't see that yet.

-7rob7


Key: Complain about this post