A Conversation for Eponyms

Once more into the Crapper

Post 1

~ jwf ~ scribblo ergo sum

The myth that the modern flush toilet was invented by Englishman Thomas Crapper has been dispelled, but that does not deny the reality that he was a plumber who purchased the manufacturing patent rights from Giblin and most flush toilet installations in England were proudly branded with his name as "T.Crapper" just after the turn of the 20th century.
American doughboys took the name to America where the device is still sometimes called a crapper. The word crap however was probably much earlier from German/Dutch variants of krappe, a smelly fish. That's why the yanks thought T.Crapper was such a funny name for it.

*from a search of Thomas Crapper leading to a plumbing myths page*

peace
jwf


Once more into the Crapper

Post 2

Mycroft

And where do you stand on the Otis Tizling and the invention of the brassiere debate?


Once more into the Crapper

Post 3

Mycroft

Eep! That should be Otis Titzling.


Once more into the Crapper

Post 4

~ jwf ~ scribblo ergo sum

I make it a point to avoid standing on debates at all. Quite wobbly things at the best of times.
In fact, I will avoid standing if it is possible to sit, unless I am very sure of my footing and am able to suspend my hysterical belief that the ground will one day open up and swallow me without notice.

jwf


Once more into the Crapper

Post 5

Tonsil Revenge (PG)

Hey, flamingo, why didn't you nominate this thing? I like it!


Once more into the Crapper

Post 6

The CAC CONTINUUM - The ongoing adventures of the Committee for Alien Content (a division of AggGag)

Good idea.
If Mycroft is still monitoring this thread he can take this as official notice that AGG/GAG would like to feature his article, unless of course it has been otherwise accepted as an Official Edited Entry or he specifically objects to being seen in the company of radicals and rowdies.
Shall we give him ..say ..one week ..to respond...
peace
~jwf~ for AGG/GAG


Once more into the Crapper

Post 7

Tonsil Revenge (PG)

smiley - peacesign


Once more into the Crapper

Post 8

~ jwf ~ scribblo ergo sum

Because it so well written, and of timeless interest I intend to include this piece in a 'reserve' issue which I will offer up to Shazz at the H2G2Post as a back-up, to be 'numbered' appropriately in that dreaded week-to-come when we all fail to meet the deadline. smiley - biggrin
Rumour has it Mycroft has not posted in five weeks.
I miss him. He has a large and reasonable brain.
~jwf~


Key: Complain about this post