A Conversation for Absinthe

Absinthe in the UK

Post 1

Freddy, Keeper Of The Word "fnar!". Back from the Underworld.

Hmmm -restricted to 2 shots per customer? Can't say I've ever encountered this. The restriction, as far as I'm concerned is the fact that the stuff costs about four quid per shot smiley - smiley


Absinthe in the UK

Post 2

Kaz

I read in the London Evening Standard about restrictions on the stuff. As for the price, thats sounds like a complete rip-off, I shall stick with drinking mine at home! With the added benefit of cartoons on demand and a bed nearby!


Absinthe in the UK

Post 3

Freddy, Keeper Of The Word "fnar!". Back from the Underworld.

Cartoons? I'd expect to be able to generate my own cartoons and mental imagerey after a whole bottle of the stuff smiley - smiley

Did you ever see that episode of Bottom when Richie asks for a glass of Absinthe?


Absinthe in the UK

Post 4

Kaz

Fraid knot!


Absinthe in the UK

Post 5

Freddy, Keeper Of The Word "fnar!". Back from the Underworld.

As I recall it went something like this:

Eddie: So what are you having?

Richie: Er, erm, I dunno, er, Absinthe

Eddie: Bless You

Richie: No, Absinthe, it's a drink

Bartender: Absinthe? There's a gay pub down the road, y'know


Or something like that.


Absinthe in the UK

Post 6

2SHY ("The most fun you can have without laughing")

this from the man who went into a pub in a wedding dress and asked for a pint of pernod....


Absinthe in the UK

Post 7

MartheFrosk

Erhm - I once bought a bottle of absinthe in London, and it wasn't very good... and i surely didn't give the same feeling as the one I bought in denmark.

It just tasted like dead licorice.


Absinthe in the UK

Post 8

baadmonkey - the little hand says its time to rock and roll...

As to absinthe limitations in the UK - there is no limit on how much alcohol, of any variety or brand that you can sell to someone. Therefore the 2 shot rule is nonsense.
HOWEVER - under the Licencing Laws, a licencee is forbidden to sell alcohol to someone who is drunk. A strange one I know, but there it is. As a licencee or landlord, you are allowed to sell alcohol to a person up to the point where you deem them to be under the influence, at which point they must be removed from the premises. So the 2 shot rule is merely a house guideline, in the same way as some bars refuse to sell snakebite, for the similar effect that if you have a couple it has a somewhat magnified effect on some clientele.
So a bar manager will frequently refuse to serve a lot of absinthe, because if the police raid him at that point, and find people who are on the premises who can be proven to be drunk, and to have bought those drinks at said establishment, he'll be shutdown, and get either a £1000 fine or 6 months inside.
Just a guideline...smiley - bubbly


Key: Complain about this post