A Conversation for The Horror

the Human Race

Post 1

Researcher 182562

The human race is not all one thing or another. You are part of it, your mother is, the mother of a friend that met you at school is. When you go to a shop, are not most of the clerks pleasant? Have you not had people tell you that you dropped some money or a letter and pick it up for you? What astounds me is that nearly everyone I interact with is so pleasant and so nice. I have travelled in several countries and have been in situations people told me to stay out of. Every time I have been stuck and didn't know what to do, someone has helped me. When college pranks got me into a bad jail for a week, two men who were not of my race protected me and asked only that I write them sometimes after I left - and these were tough dudes! In Africa, EVERY time I asked a man directions, he walked with me to my destination - one man even left his shop to do so. And these were Black people who had been mistreated by a white colonial power for years (I am white). The way terrorists and fanatics think, people are not a colorful throng of individuals, but a race. Do not think about whether is hope for the human race. Think about whether is hope for YOU, for your Mom, for the person who reminded you to take your change at the shop. It is easy to say Americans do this, Jews do that, Arabs do the other. I have lived in the Middle East and people were as different from one another there as they are here. People made me laugh, made me irritable, made me sad just like my own family does. The way to lose hope is to think of the "Human Race", the way to keep it is to think of Joe and Alice and Mom and Ahmed and Su-Lee and Pedro and Per and Ivan and Vijay. And the way to pass it to others is to avoid the idiocies of religion and politics and think of your own goals and form your own ideas based on what you see in the street, hear on the telephone and in conversation, in short, from your own personal experience. Studies have shown that people who watch the news have a far less accurate idea of their chances of personal danger, than do those who do NOT watch the news. The human race did not blow up these buildings. A lot more humans are giving blood and weeping and risking their lives to help, than were involved in the entire plot to bring this thing about. You are giving up hope way too easily. And if you do, you are one more who has joined their side.


the Human Race

Post 2

Chris Tonks

I agree that stating the Human race is all but lost is thoroughly wrong. Believe it or not, hope still lingers in the aftermath of this catastrophe. Read my article in this week's Post, 'Prof', if you want my full views.


the Human Race

Post 3

153745

No, no. You're both correct. It was just all so sad, though, and I panicked, which I know is exactly what I'm not supposed to do, but I did anyway.

I have seen more love than I ever have before. The Interfaith prayers, the blood doners, the millions of people that were affected by this. It all proves that love overpowers hate.

And I know that I'm part of the human race, but I will never, NEVER, be lowered into becoming them, whoever they are. I'd rather drown to death and have my corpse picked away by crabs on the ocean floor than become them...


the Human Race

Post 4

Post Team

smiley - rose

shazz smiley - magic


the Human Race

Post 5

153745

Which reminds me,

Please take a gander at the note I have left (the other conversation on this article: "A Note From Yossarian"), if you happen to have the spare time. It is not long and I find it to be incredibly important.

Thanks,
Yossarian


the Human Race

Post 6

Post Team

I have Yossarian smiley - smiley

shazz smiley - magic


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more