A Conversation for Condom Conundrum Divides The Church

Just the most discussed

Post 1

Bob Dodd

"The pope's 1968 encyclical probably did more to erode the church's moral authority than anything else the church has done in the past century. Catholics listened, and made up their own minds."

In terms of authority over individuals, I guess you are correct (I come from a catholic family). However, in terms of eroding its moral authority, the church wiped that out in one fell swoop; in the late 1930s Rome conspired with the Nazis to stop catholics from challenging the regime. The catholics that listened and then made up their own mind in that case went to the concentration camps.

The church can fairly argue that on condoms they are only following their own morality consistently, but with their own (recent) history, they are hardly starting from the moral high ground. It is a very good article, well done.


Just the most discussed

Post 2

Lonnytunes - Winter Is Here

Thanks. smiley - winkeye

My use of the word 'probably' was deliberate.


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Condom Conundrum Divides The Church

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more