A Conversation for Epilepsy

A623062-Epilepsy

Post 41

Amy Pawloski, aka 'paper lady'--'Mufflewhump'?!? click here to find out... (ACE)

...but since people other than me have said that this is a good entry, I just wanted to keep it in easy view. Do many people bother to scroll through the older conversations?


A623062-Epilepsy

Post 42

Chris M

Interesting article. You suggest though that epilepsy may be a symptom of mental illness - could it be that mental illness is a symptom or perhaps consequence of epilepsy?

I had epilepsy for many years, and had petit mal seizures once every year or so, which cleared up (I hope) over two years ago. I've also had periods of depression that recently have developed into a manic depressive illness - I can't substantiate a connection, as there are other factors to take into account, but I see a possibility overactive synapses that affect motor function, bladder control and consciousness may in turn affect thought processes and emotions.

Current theory seems to support this, accounting for it by excessive production of a certain type of brain cell.



A623062-Epilepsy

Post 43

Amy Pawloski, aka 'paper lady'--'Mufflewhump'?!? click here to find out... (ACE)

Well, I'm not sure where you see that epilepsy is a symptom of mental illness...And nothing I saw while researching suggested that mental illness is a symptom or consequence of epilepsy. Behavioral problems (and depression, though it sounds like yours is more serious smiley - hug), yes, but more as a consequence of bullying and ostracism resulting from the stigma still attached to epilepsy (or any other form of differentness, really) than as a direct consequence of the epilepsy itself.


A623062-Epilepsy

Post 44

Chris M

Fair point. Mine was once described as "Concrete Breakdancing". Lovely. smiley - hug Good article.


A623062-Epilepsy

Post 45

Amy Pawloski, aka 'paper lady'--'Mufflewhump'?!? click here to find out... (ACE)

'Concrete Breakdancing', eh? Sounds like you had grand mal (tonic clonic) seizures to me...


A623062-Epilepsy

Post 46

Chris M

More a case of fatuous b*st*rd mocking the afflicted seizures. I never did anything more than pass out - I just chose to do it in busy streets, at concerts, in the bath etc.


A623062-Epilepsy

Post 47

Amy Pawloski, aka 'paper lady'--'Mufflewhump'?!? click here to find out... (ACE)

I had tonic clonic seizures (well, the one that was actually witnessed was one...), but it was in a bit safer place...The backseat of the car, while wearing a shoulder harness...


A623062-Epilepsy

Post 48

Chris M

Well that was lucky. Was the sun flickering through a row of trees, strobe-like? I've had trouble with that. What happened during the ones that weren't witnessed? It sounds terrifying. smiley - hug


A623062-Epilepsy

Post 49

Amy Pawloski, aka 'paper lady'--'Mufflewhump'?!? click here to find out... (ACE)

Well, I had been taking a nap, so I don't know what triggered it. However, flashing lights don't do anything to me. I only had one other seizure before being put on medication, and I haven't had a seizure since, not even since I've been off the meds. (I was on for four years, and I've been off for four.) My second seizure happened like this:

It was my day off from work, and I was feeling pretty crappy. I had just had a seizure a little over a week before, and I still wasn't really up to snuff, but that day was pretty bad (I thought it was just my sinuses, because the CAT scan I had had right after the seizure had shown a small infection, so I was on antibiotics). I got called in to work, because they couldn't get anyone else to run the video counter. I told them I didn't feel so good, but they told me I could sit down in the back, and just come out when the bell was rung, so I agreed. Work was pretty normal for the first hour or two. All of a sudden, I was on the floor regaining consciousness, with my name being called over the intercom, and one of the managers bending over me. (OK, so I don't remember exactly--it was eight years ago, and, as you probably know, your brain doesn't exactly work too well after a seizure.) I was told that they'd been calling me on the intercom for quite some time. I had a good sized bump on my head from the fall. OK, so it could have been an absence or atonic seizure. The reason I think that the second one was a tonic clonic like the first is that I bit my tongue in the exact same place that I'd bitten it before, just as badly as I had before. (Just as it was healing, too--I was very annoyed...)

Thanks for the smiley - hug *smiley - hugs kid back*


A623062-Epilepsy

Post 50

EtherZev

Amy,


Just read your article, and found it very interesting

I have had a some experience with epilepsy with a family member. There is no history of epilepsy in my family.The medical explanation at the time was that there two distinct types of epilepsy, congenital and ideo-pathic. My relative suffered from the latter, which was attributed, provisionally, to trauma of surgery which she underwent as a adult.

After fifteen years of drug treatment, the tests showed her to be relatively clear. She was able to re-obtain a driving license. Only a minor petit mal occurred a few years later.

It was also called "the Falling Disease" in ancient times. Famous people who suffered from epilepsy were Julius Caesar, and Alexander the Great.

Wishing you every success with your article.


A623062-Epilepsy

Post 51

Amy Pawloski, aka 'paper lady'--'Mufflewhump'?!? click here to find out... (ACE)

Thank you smiley - biggrin


A623062-Epilepsy

Post 52

Amy Pawloski, aka 'paper lady'--'Mufflewhump'?!? click here to find out... (ACE)

Just me, being impatient again, and bringing this up front...


A623062-Epilepsy

Post 53

caper_plip

Hi there...

I like the entry a lot... but don't be impatient! At some point, a Scout will come along and recommend it... they don't all necessarily look at the entries at the top of PR for their recommendations... sometimes quite the reverse!

Patience is a virtue... it took ages for my Badminton entry to get recommended!

Caper Plipsmiley - borgsmiley - tennisball


A623062-Epilepsy

Post 54

Amy Pawloski, aka 'paper lady'--'Mufflewhump'?!? click here to find out... (ACE)

Thank you...

Yeah, I know, but being annoying worked for Redfish...smiley - winkeye


Thread Moved

Post 55

h2g2 auto-messages

Editorial Note: This conversation has been moved from 'Peer Review' to 'Epilepsy'.

This thread has been moved out of the Peer Review Forum because your entry has now been recommended for the Edited Guide.

You can find out what will happen to your entry here: http://www.h2g2.com/SubEditors-Process

Congratulations!


Thread Moved

Post 56

Amy Pawloski, aka 'paper lady'--'Mufflewhump'?!? click here to find out... (ACE)

smiley - wow

smiley - biggrin


Thread Moved

Post 57

Azara

smiley - bubbly for Amy!
Well done, and I hope you produce many more entries of the same quality!

Azara
smiley - rose


Thread Moved

Post 58

Amy Pawloski, aka 'paper lady'--'Mufflewhump'?!? click here to find out... (ACE)

Thanks Azara!

I don't write much anymore, but I could go through my other college papers...


Thread Moved

Post 59

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

Hurray smiley - hugsmiley - wow maybe i should attempt to get something in to the guide smiley - yikessmiley - wowsmiley - hugsmiley - zoom


Thread Moved

Post 60

Azara

You can obviously write very well - just look around you and an interesting topic might catch your eye!

Azara
smiley - rose


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Epilepsy

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more